cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Variable Material Parts - Single Model but different WTParts?

SteveVinyard
1-Newbie

Variable Material Parts - Single Model but different WTParts?

Hi guys, I have a Windchill Jeopardy question that I’m hoping you can shed some light on. Here is the scenario:

A company designs a certain housing for a sub-system though the material that it is made out of varies between PVC and PVF (I think) depending on if it is assembled next to something really hot or not. The material difference does not affect anything structurally. Right now, they are using a family table master for the geometry and then just use different instances for the various materials that are used. The Design Engineers are the people who make this decision and will continue to do so. My question is how are other companies successfully managing variable material usage with parts that have the same geometry?

Using WTParts and CAD data. Hoping to streamline some of this. Ideally I want to have a single model and a single drawing but different WTParts that represent this but represent it with a different material.

Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

I'd say the different materials force different Part Numbers. As Best practice you would want to ensure that the correct material got to the correct application. Unique WTPart for each material Instance.

This is a case where both Part Numbers can be definied on a single Drawing with the variablity (Material) defined in a table or chart. Both Parts would reference a the same Drawing as specification.

So we will have multiple WTParts reference a single .PRT model right? Which link do you prefer here? I need visualization for these items for obvious reasons and I also need to be able to see the Drawing from the WTPart too.

How do you recommend architecting that?

I think of Instances being derived prt files, so I'm not sure I relate to the two WTParts referencing the single .PRT model. Each instance is it's own model, but inheriting most of it's definition from the Generic.

You would Assciate a WTPart to each Instance, but not the Generic. Unless there is a reason not to I would use an "Owner" Association. Visualization will should generate for each instance and flow through to the Associated WTPart.

Instances would need to be added to the drw file as well as the generic, which will give you the WTPart to Drawing linkage you're looking for.

OK, this is the option I am familiar with as well. I was hoping to get away from having to create more CAD for something that has no geometry change and no structural differences. My guess is that this kind of functionality just doesn't exist. It'd be nice if there was a WTPart family table function where the main WTPart could be the owner link a single CAD/Drawing to get the attributes/visualization for the family but other instances could have their own part number to represent different materials for that part and push to ERP.

Nevertheless, this was a good sanitiy check. Thanks Keir, hope all is well up north!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi all,

My understanding is the same as the responses to date with respect to current functionality. Just wanted to add as a note for future possibilities that there was a good discussion on this topic at the Technical Committee meetings last month (June, 2014). The discussion confirmed that many companies have this or similar use cases that result in the desire to Owner-associate a single CAD model to multiple WTParts. Our own use cases at Cummins include the material variation you described, as well as a number of other Part level differences that impact cost or durability, but not physical geometry. Based on the feedback in the TC meeting, the prospects seemed quite good that PTC will continue to look into allowing multiple Owner associations to a single CAD model in the future. I would highly recommend sending a message to the host of that session, Jennifer Pierron from PTC (she participates in the PTC Community as well), to add the feedback on your use cases to her existing list.

Thanks David, I'll try to get in touch with her.

I think there's some caution warranted here...

Consider the Parent CAD that uses the Housing... Should there not be two uniquely identified (Part Number) solutions at the parent (and maybe the Parent's parent(s)?. There are probably Drawings of those Parents that need to call out the appropriate children in the BOM which means two different CAD models.

Hello

We have exactly this kind of need. (Jewellery and watch making)

One year and half ago, we worked commonly with PTC R&D (with Jennifer Pierron) around the "multi owner link". Ability to link the same CAD Doc to multiple WTparts. (and drive multiple BOMs)

This was partially released in 10. M030 OOTB . but hidden by preference as the project was not fully finished. Notably for the "reverse build scenario" (ie WtPart BOM to CAD structure change propagation)

But works well for classic way CAD 2 Part Synch.

It is based on capability to build assynchroneously the WTpart BOM from CAD (and not automatically on checkin)

And the CAD 2 part comparator tool. Which allow to choose the correct WTpart in the BOM by a drop down list. And identify the correct occurence by an embeded Creo View.

regards

Very interesting Gregory, do you know where I might find more information this hidden functionality?

Stephen

we can exchange by personnal Email. And let Jennifer tell you more about the official Roadmap.

regards

Sorry ... developped with R&D on 10 M030, but partially released in 10.1M030

Top Tags