cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Vault Threshold rollover

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Vault Threshold rollover

I am testing a new install of Windchill 11.0 m030 CPS08 and set wt.fv.fvFileThreshold to 20. I have also set wt.fv.useFvFileThreshold, wt.fv.useVaultsForAllContent and wt.fv.forceContentToVault to true. When I created the vault, I set it to Automatic folder creation. This is what we want to test.

Does Windchill create a new folder and start populating it when the threshold limit is reached?

I have uploaded 30 documents to Windchill and they are all going into my initial folder. Is there a minimum threshold number that is not documented?

On my other production system, it did not have the Automatic option when setup back at Windchill 8, so I manually create new folders and be sure that 2 or 3 are mounted and ready for the threshold of 50,000 to do the rollover. It works as expected.

Windows Server 2012 r2

Oracle 12c DB

Windchill 11.0 m030 CPS08

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BenLoosli)

I deleted the installation of Windchill and created a new one and the folder location rolled over at 20, as specified.

The one thing I changed was PTC noticed I was set to Cluster Node for the host in the original set up, which is the default value, but I changed it before adding any vaults or folders to Standalone Node. Not sure if that was the trick, but it is working, even with a low threshold of 20.

Now to remove the test files and change the threshold to something realistic.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I do not know how that really works out because I've had my vault threshold set to 50,000 since inception and have yet to have a folder automatically switch out at that point.  I have a lot of folders that are in the 96,000-102,000 range before they switch.  I would put in another 30 and see if switches over or not.  The other strange thing is that when I run the remove unreferenced files through the vault, it will bump those folders down between 32,000-60,000 files.  Now a lot of that is based on our method of how we create and update viewables I believe.

Do you have it set explicitly or use the system 50K default value? There should be no difference, but I have mine set explicitly and my folders rollover between 49K and 54K files. I have never seen one go over 55K files.

If you force all content to vaults, I can see the number growing fast as there are a lot of files generated when doing a publish of just one assembly drawing. Remove unreferenced files will delete all of those temporary files.

I have it explicitly set at 50,000.  It creates the new folders as it should, but for some reason it doesn't rollover like it should.  It seemed to do it correctly when we migrated from ILink to Windchill, but after we went from Oracle to SQL, it seems to have changed then.

As far as I know, the threshold is only counting files referenced to objects in the database. If you have a lot of unreferenced files in a folder, they are not counted for triggering the rollover to the next folder. I checked this in our Windchill 10.2 a while a go and can confirm this behaviour.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jschramm)

That is good to know.

In my case, these 71 documents were uploaded directly to the DB for testing of the rollover functionality.

PTC did find a misconfigured value in my vaults, so I have deleted all and am building new vaults and folders to do another test.

I had wondered that, but when I run the remove unreferenced files, I'm still off 6-12k files.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I deleted the installation of Windchill and created a new one and the folder location rolled over at 20, as specified.

The one thing I changed was PTC noticed I was set to Cluster Node for the host in the original set up, which is the default value, but I changed it before adding any vaults or folders to Standalone Node. Not sure if that was the trick, but it is working, even with a low threshold of 20.

Now to remove the test files and change the threshold to something realistic.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

In more testing this morning, I deleted 12 files in Windchill, then removed unreferenced files.

1) The files did not get deleted from the Windows folder.

2) When I tried to remove the read-only flag from folder1, it would not let me.

3) changed the threshold to 50K files and added 20 new files. They all went into folder2, so that is working at least.

Is there something in Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS08 that is preventing the update to a folder? I can update a vault, just not a folder.

Top Tags