cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Visualation Publish Rules

MikeIbosh
1-Newbie

Visualation Publish Rules

All,
I'm using a publish rule to create a PDF of released drawings (only) during publishing, and to create a document with the PDF as the content, and place the document into a specific library and folder.
The problems I'm having are:

1. The primary content of the generated WTDocument is a ZIP file, containing a .PLT and .PDF file. The primary content should only be the PDF file.

2. When I add the CONTAINER-NAME (library or product) and FOLDER to the publish rule, the post publishing fails.
Any help on these two points would be appreciated.

Mike
10 REPLIES 10
tmcnaney
12-Amethyst
(To:MikeIbosh)

What Windchill Release are you using?

1. For Windchill 10.1 and 10.2 F000, by design the primary content is a .zip of http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/WCUpgradeCFTR_MultiFormatPublishing.html

Before you ask, there were other changes made to the infrastructure, so you cannot just take this class and use it with previous releases.

2. What error message are you receiving when publishing fails? Can you provide the syntax that you are using?

Open a case with Tech Support, and I am sure they can help you get this resolved.

-Tom

Tom,
Thanks for the information.
I am running Windchill 10.1 M030 at this time.
I have resolved the CONTEXT-PATH and FOLDER issues in the publish rules, and it sounds like you just answered the primary content question.
That is exactly what I'm getting as the primary content in the WTDocument, is a ZIP file with all of the published files (.PLT & .PDF).
Is there any way to ONLY have the PDF file as the primary content in the WTDocument in 10.1 M030?

Mike Ibosh
tmcnaney
12-Amethyst

Glad to hear you resolved the container issue!

In Reply to Mike Ibosh:

Is there any way to ONLY have the PDF file as the primary content in the WTDocument in 10.1 M030?

Only if the primary default viewable format is PDF, and you don't have any additional formats.

Otherwise, not that I know of without a customization. There are customers who have created a custom PostPublishDelegate for this purpose.

I'm a big fan of these additional publishing options. I'd say the most popular is the PDF capabilities as "additional files" for drawings. Obviously customers want to use the default plot file as the primary visualization file being that it is easily marked up etc (without additional costs/tools)...though they still want to be able to find a drawing>right-click and download the PDF quickly.

As-Is Today:
The additional files mechanism is not displayed when I right click on a Drawing (configuring it on 10.2 today). I have to navigate to the details page, select content, scroll down, right-click on the representation, select files and finally select "PDF". That is just too much for a general user.

Question:
In 10.2 M010, is there a way to expose the Right-Click>Files>PDF option by right clicking on the Drawing object instead of having to dig in to get it from the Content>Representations? I get this kind of request all the time.

[Description: C:\Documents and Settings\krista.roy\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\tristar_email_signature_files\image001.gif]

Steve Vinyard
Senior Solution Architect
TomU
23-Emerald IV

This is the exact reason we are planning to deploy WindAccess<.">http://eccellent.com/windaccess.asp>. We want to give our users instant, one-click access to all the additional published files right on a simplified search results page. Our implementation will have columns for STEP, DXF, IGES, and PDF (plus Creo View of course).

[cid:image002.png@01CF1DC1.A14B1620]

Agreed, a thirdparty tool can do this as well to varying degrees. The On-Demand operating mode of our "Plot Service for Windchill (PSW)", offers publishing functionality directly from standard Windchill search results. All the supported PSW publishing formats can be generated from a Windchill search. This includes PDF, DXF, DWG, etc. for drawings and IGES, STEP, STL, Parasolids, CreoView, ACIS, 3DVia, etc. for assemblies and parts. Besides PTC Creo Parametric models, PSW also can process SolidWorks, Inventor and NX models and AutoCAD drawings. In addition to the On-Demand mode there is also Batch and On-Event operating modes.

[Description: C:\Documents and Settings\krista.roy\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures\tristar_email_signature_files\image001.gif]

Steve Vinyard
Senior Solution Architect
SimonHeath
4-Participant

Dear All,

We have had this request many times, but for me the basic solution to the “too many clicks” problem is a new data utility e.g. configurable custom column, that gives fast access to specific data and can appear in the ootb search results. It is an easy and low cost of ownership extension if done right, after that you can move on to various extended search options if needed.

Something like this PDF example

Simon

Guys ,

We did an implementation in our system to meet the requirements.

When a Document is published the , we create a new representation and a PDF Icon in the Representation Table.On single click of the PDF Icon , the PDF is downloaded.

Techinically Speaking, we implemented a Icon Component D.Utility and JS Action to frame the dowmload action when OnClick happens.

WABCO - Vehicle Control Systems

Hello Simon,

I see that you have found a solution to display the PDF of representation on Search Results Table through a Custom Data Utility.

I have the same requirement in my organization.

It would be a great helkp if you can share some information about this customization?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Mahesh KL

Hi Mike. Did you find any solution for that. Actually, I am loooking for a publish rule file, which can convert Creo drawings to pdf and dxf when their state is changed to Released. Then, automatically attach these files as a secondary content of the Drawing.

Thanks,

Serdar

Top Tags