cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

WINDCHILL FRACAS DIRECT SQL IMPORT BECAUSE EXCEL FAILS

tkrieger
5-Regular Member

WINDCHILL FRACAS DIRECT SQL IMPORT BECAUSE EXCEL FAILS

Dear All,

we have tried several times to import our product database into FRACAS via the EXCEL import tool. It is a quite complex data structure (several subparts belong to several parts, several of those parts belong to different assemblies, several assembiles belong to next higher assemblies....) and is relativly big (270000 items).

Importing with the EXCEL import wizards fails most of the time towards the end....which is quite frustrating because to import all data takes almost a week.... 😞

Hence my question: is it possible to go back to the root and import the data directly into the SQL Windchill DB? I've tried to add a single part via insert into the admin.system database (which is itself already difficult to figure out the correct project, because I haven't found a relationship between SETID (which represents the Project and the actual Project Name), and I am not sure how the RECORD Number is actually createdd (the number seems not to be sequenced and has simularities to Bite-Size 2....512, 1024, 2048....), so I believe there is a nother reference table I haven't figured out which one it is.

Moreover, after inserting the data (SQL: insert into......) the item appears in the table, but is not populated/shown in the project (PTC FRACAS application), while if I update an existing item via SQL, the change is visible in the PTC FRACAS application.   Which makes me wondering if admin.system table has dependencies to another table I am not aware of....

My question: Is there a way to insert (and maybe a guide) on how to inport FRACAS System tree items directly into the MSSQL database without using EXCEL?

Thanks for your help,

Tobias 

1 REPLY 1
tkrieger
5-Regular Member
(To:tkrieger)

...this is the status I got now:

You’re right, the scenario you described is the one occurring in my situation. Actually I asked R&D to confirm  the Excel daemon available with WQS as far as I know I think the previous version used the Excel 2007 which I think have a limitation of 65000 rows, but I’m waiting R&D answer to confirm this information.

To answer your question about the direct import to database, you can find the R&D answer regarding this operation

“actually importing to db is a different thing, when we do it through WQS, we may have some logic implemented where we insert related records in other tables while inserting records for system tree item table tables seen on UI of WQS don't relate directly to data base table present in sql server or oracle”

Kind regards,

Tobias

Top Tags