cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

WIndchill 10.0 Links CAd to Windchill Parts: Any Standard Practices

BrianSullivan
9-Granite

WIndchill 10.0 Links CAd to Windchill Parts: Any Standard Practices

Hello.

Wanted to see if anyone has documented Best Practice between CAD Document and Windchill Parts. I know this is Customer Specific but wondered if there are general rules that we can apply generally. The PTC Literature avoids all this topic from a practical example. There are 6 types of Links (Active-Owner, Passive-Content, Calculated, Image Link, Contributing Image Link, Contributing Content Link)

You can Determine Policy or You can Make it easy for Users.. but hard to do both.

For Example:
Rule #1 Option A: Only Real CAD Document Parts get an Associated Windchill Part..
This rule generally falls apart with the use of Auto-Associate since Pro-E Family Table Generics are not used but get an Auto-Associated Part. Now you have to determine whether to Revise/Release and/or Prevent Usage. Or Teach Users to not use Auto-Associate on Check in for Generics Etc...
Rule#1 Option B: All CAD Document Part/Assemblies get an Associate Windchill Part... This frees up Auto-Association and Basic User Issues... But now I have Windchill Parts I may not wish to push to Production... I can use the Gathering Part or Phantom Part Attributes to strip from any structures or use as a Blocker in an XML output.

Or any configuration to exempt Family Table generics, Inheritance Parts used by Analysis, etc... With some many exceptions I can not promote auto-Association... or the ramifications of accounting for them in a change process or ERP Connector Output...

For Example:
Rule #2 Option A: Drawings that Reference a Generic Family Table Part need to be Manually Associated to the Windchill Parts of the Instances of the Family Table Described. Since the Instances are not on the Drawing it will not create a Calculated Link... Therefore you would need to add a Content Link between the Generics Drawings and the WTPart representing the Instance. Content Links though OOTB do not carry forward each time an item is revised(I think) therefore would require user effort.
Rule #2 Option B: No Drawings for Family Tables? Or Adding the Instances onto a Sheet View so it will create a Calculated Link? Or teach Manufacturing how to Browse the Generic for an instance and pull up its Drawing, if none listed for a WtPart (with associated CAD Instances)

The Symantec's change for every account but again wondering if any agree Processes that exist? Sort of like most customers start with the OOTB... but these are the consequences and best practices once real items are included...
Anyone's Document Processes I will not share if sent.

Brian Sullivan

1 REPLY 1

Scenario: One DRW depicts a family table PRT; each PRT family table member
has Owner link with its respective WTPart (via autoassociate). For what
it's worth, assume the DRW is actually built from the generic, and displays
a variant table driven from the PRT family table. And the WTParts are for
the actual parts - no WTPart for the generic since it isn't really a part.

Top Tags