cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

WT Part

Amirtharaj_K
15-Moonstone

WT Part

Hi Everyone,

Currently, I have two types of questions, one for CAD drawings and the other for instance drawings

P1: whenever I create a CAD file, it is linked to WT Parts and if we have a drawing, it is also linked to WT Parts. But we are unable to see the drawing in WT because the .prt file is the owner. The manufacturing team does not have access to CAD, which means they cannot view drawings. I need to create a new WT part with the same number and add a type that is the same for both CAD and drawing.

P2: Instance, I want a drawing, it's possible.

Regards.

Aj

9 REPLIES 9

They should be appear as a calculated link. Yes, it does not show up as the viewable in Creo view. Have you tried installing Thingworx Navigate?

Apologize for the delay in response & thanks for the replay Mr, Avil

I want 2 Wt parts with the same name and the type is different can we do one for CAD and the other one for Drawing?

Regards,

Amir

How is your Windchill system configured?

When you create a 3D model and check-in, it should get related to a WTPart. When you create a drawing for that model, it should not create a new WTPart. It should show a "calculated" link to the same WTPart as the model.

You don't want to have 2 WTParts for the same design because the WTPart is what gets used to make the Bill of Materials. If you have 2 WTParts for the same thing, it could cause confusion and duplication. 

For your manufacturing team - have you looked into using Creo View? Creo View is included with Windchill and will allow team members to see the drawings without needing to install CAD. It is also possible to have Windchill make PDFs of the drawings, which makes it even easier to view them.

Hi @joe_morton 

I could understand that the calculated link to a drawing is not perfect in many cases. 

PetrH

Hi @Amirtharaj_K 

The main question is why would you want to connect drawing to own wtpart? 

What is a use case? please can you describe it in more detail? 

Generally the WTPart can not have same identification number even though it is sub type. 

The Name can be same but is not unique

Also you can use preference (Auto Relate Drawings To Parts), that will link the drawing to the WTPart by contributing image association

Thanks that there is not confusing what is the correct drawing.

HelesicPetr_0-1704353755475.png

PetrH

Good Morning guys, thank you for the replay and apologize for the delay in response.

As a designer, he has the ability to access for modification, check-in/out, association, and other tasks. If we go with other departments like manufacturing or quality, they only have WT Part access, not CAD access, or read access, which means he can't view it.

In such case, other departments want to view the drawing through the WT Part only.

1. PDF is download in local due to CAD worker publish. 

2. Can we add it to the related object (Described By Documents/Reference Documents) after publishing?

3. One WT Part is linked toeach other prt, drw, doc and many more. We can only view 3D data in WT Parts, how can we see other data like.drw? on WT Part.

Kindly share the video and document.

Contributing an image of how we can use that on this scenario.

Regards,

Aj

Hi @Amirtharaj_K 

Can you see the drawing visualization on the WTPart?

It is accessible from the WTPart but the user needs the rights to see the drawing.

Also I could see that some configuration can be done that drawing PDF could be saved as a separate WTDocument with access ACL definition for other department

HelesicPetr_0-1704784662619.png

PetrH

Good Morning Mr. Petr,

Apologies for the delayed response.

How can we include that in 'Representations/Annotations'? Could you please brief me on that?

Regards,

Aj

Hi 

it is autamatic of the wtpart is linked with model and the model has a drawing with calculated reference

also a user has to have a rights to see model and drawing

without corect ACL you can not see it

PettH

Top Tags