cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

WTDocument Change Process

pwilliams-3
11-Garnet

WTDocument Change Process

Hi All,
I am wondering how some of you manage change for your documents. We have several soft types of WTDocument and we want them to follow a change process that is different from other WTDocument soft types and from our standard ECN process. Is it possible to configure Windchill so that a specific soft type must follow a certain change process? I'm struggling to find a solution to this problem.

I could additionally soft type the CR and CN to configure the specific workflow but there isn't anything that I know of that will restrict the object types that can be in the implementation plan. For example I don't know how to force a document "Assembly Instructions" to be changed only by the "Assembly Instructions Change Notice" object and workflow. Make sense?

Patrick Williams | Engineering Systems | c: 616.947.2110
[cid:image001.jpg@01CE637F.994E1230]

7 REPLIES 7

Patrick,

You can use association constraints so that certain document types can only be related to certain types of changes

You set this up in the Type Management - association constraints.

Jeff,
That sounds like exactly what we need. Can you please elaborate a bit more on where in the T&M this can be configured. I don't see association constraints.

[cid:image002.jpg@01CE6383.AE791700]

In your attached image there are two link types that I am interested in:

1. Affected Activity Data

2. Change Record

What is the difference between the two? I cannot find documentation on them.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE6392.EB071CD0]

I am asking because I get the same Parent and Child type listing for both. I would have expected to see Change Notice soft types when creating a new constraint for the Change Record.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE6393.536A70B0]

Eric,
Ah, I got it. Thanks very much for the explanation. Your comment about the type of ECN driving this is exactly what my initial train of thought was but I don't see a CN->CT link that I can constrain. I found a CR->Soft Type but nothing for CN.

[cid:image002.jpg@01CE6396.8CAE9920]

Nitin,

I also contemplated the approach of soft typing the CN and using ACL's to control what Team Role could create each CN soft type. However; I ran into the following problem. Within the CN/CT, a user could use the collectors to add any Affected/Resulting object to which they had access. Therefore they could inadvertently change an object through a CN/CT that was not designed for that object. It could potentially be exploited to circumvent a more rigorous change process. That is why I think I will try the relationship constraints path for a while to see where it leads. Thanks very much for your reply.

cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:pwilliams-3)

Hi Patrick

this post looks like a monologue. I take there has been a lot of private discussions in between.

Do you mind to post of summary or your solution for the communoty.

Thanks

Top Tags