cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

WVS CAD Worker Optimization and Memory Management

ScottMorris
17-Peridot

WVS CAD Worker Optimization and Memory Management

Hi, has anyone out there come up with a good scheme for managing memory in the WVS CAD Worker machines?

I run 5 virtual CAD workers on a single VM, which spawns 5 Creo sessions for converting CAD models to Creo View format. Everything is great when it starts, but over time (about a week), each session of Creo will grab up all memory it can until the machine has little to no memory left.

We have implemented a new monitoring system here and I get reports about my CAD workers being critically low on available RAM and virtual memory all the time. I'd like to find a way to make them run more efficiently.

Considering a weekly restart of the GS Worker Daemon service over the weekend to see if that will help, but I don't think once/week will be enough. Also concerned about stopping and starting the service on the CAD Worker w/o first shutting down the CAD worker from the Worker Admin UI in Windchill.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the proe2pv.rcp (recipe editor) , set value 10 (appropriate value) for "Exit Adapter after # Conversions"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello ,

There are many possible answer here. One suggestion is to restart creo after n number of publishing. e.g. 10. 

One more suggestion is to have a script which will stop worker , clears the cache and start worker again. you can schedule this in OS scheduler.

Regards

Ajit

Yes, I already have a script to clear the cache which runs once/month. It will be easy enough to add service stop;wait;service start line to it. I am a little concerned about stopping and starting the service w/o shutting down the workers in Windchill.

I like the idea of restarting Creo after 10 publish jobs, but not sure how to make that happen. Do you have some suggestions?

The article below will help.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS219379 

In the proe2pv.rcp (recipe editor) , set value 10 (appropriate value) for "Exit Adapter after # Conversions"

rhart
14-Alexandrite
(To:ScottMorris)

Add a taskkill command at the start of the .bat file so every publish job starts with a clean session

This is not so easy since you need to know which task you need to kill! If he is running 5 xtop.exe process, he needs to remember it so he can kill the task. Otherwise he will kill a false one.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BjoernRueegg)

Actually, it's not hard at all.  Just run each worker under it's own separate service account.  This is covered in CS162756.

TomU_0-1624542396293.png

Top Tags