cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

What I'd love to see in Windchill

avillanueva
22-Sapphire I

What I'd love to see in Windchill

I did not see it in the enhancements list but wouldn't it be great if you could search by list? Say I have a list of objects by number in Excel. To be able to take that list and say bring up all these items in a list and do something with them. Add to ECN, to workspace, just list attributes in search results. I've been using SAP for a few years now and while I can't stand the interface, this is a nice feature.

Antonio Villanueva - Sr. Software Engineer - ISR Systems
UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS
100 Wooster Heights Road, Danbury, CT 06804
Tel: +1 203 797 5682
antonio.villanueva@utas.utc.com<">mailto:antonio.villanueva@utas.utc.com> www.utcaerospacesystems.com
CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This message may contain proprietary and/or privileged information of UTC Aerospace Systems and its affiliated companies. If you are not the intended recipient please 1) do not disclose, copy, distribute or use this message or its contents, 2) advise the sender by return e-mail, and 3) delete all copies (including all attachments) from your computer. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Antonio,

we have the same need for a project we are doing.

We are implementing MPMLink to manage objects in a multi divison system in SAP, trough Tibco integration.

Our SAP key users wants Windchill doing things like SAP, like you explained: do a search by number and the execute mass change of attibutes or lifecycle.

Our consultants said they could do a customization to do that, but it could be better if similar way of using SAP will be available also in WC, for example copy the list in SAP and paste number in Windchill then execute mass change.

At the moment we decide to implement customization, but because change can be send to SAP only with manual republish or with mass change of LC (and our key users don't want to use this way) this customization it will be use only when we will activate ECN. Until that moment we will execute mass chenge in SAP and send modified data to WC trough an export in text file and then aligning WC in semi automatic mode.

I forgot to say that if you create an idea on PTC community, you will have my vote

Marco
dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:avillanueva)

Related to this would be bringing back the "Briefcase" functionality that was in the old 3.x Pro/Intralink days. The briefcase would allow you to collect a variety of objects via search, browsing, etc., and then perform actions on those objects.

You can search for multiple objects now by separating the keywords with a ";". It's handy for small lists. I don't know if there is a character limit to the keyword though. I image there is one.

One continued annoyance with the search results list is the limited actions that can be performed on the objects in the list (like set state on multiple objects at once from the results list).

Daniel Nordin
BAE Systems
Pro/Intralink 10.1 M030

When we had Intralink I created an Excel mapkey that would collect everything selected and copy it into the clipboard, in a format suitable for searching.
It would copy things like: 123-4567*;345-4543*

When we installed PDM/Link I improved my mapkey to open the Search page in Internet Explorer, paste the search string in the Number box and hit the Search Button.

I have had to change this mapkey a couple of times when Excel version or Internet Explorer changed, but other than that it works quite nicely.

Best regards

Daniel Garcia

Enviado desde mi iPhone

> El 03/04/2014, a las 17:28, "Villanueva, Antonio UTAS" <antonio.villanueva@utas.utc.com> escribió:
>
> I did not see it in the enhancements list but wouldn’t it be great if you could search by list? Say I have a list of objects by number in Excel. To be able to take that list and say bring up all these items in a list and do something with them. Add to ECN, to workspace, just list attributes in search results. I’ve been using SAP for a few years now and while I can’t stand the interface, this is a nice feature.
>
> Antonio Villanueva – Sr. Software Engineer – ISR Systems
> UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS
> 100 Wooster Heights Road, Danbury, CT 06804
> Tel: +1 203 797 5682
> antonio.villanueva@utas.utc.com www.utcaerospacesystems.com
> CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This message may contain proprietary and/or privileged information of UTC Aerospace Systems and its affiliated companies. If you are not the intended recipient please 1) do not disclose, copy, distribute or use this message or its contents, 2) advise the sender by return e-mail, and 3) delete all copies (including all attachments) from your computer. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
>
>
> Site Links: View post online View mailing list online Start new thread via email Unsubscribe from this mailing list Manage your subscription
>
> Use of this email content is governed by the terms of service at:
>

We programed a very simple modification to Windchill and achieved similar functionality using the search, select all, copy and paste functionality.

Hi All,

You can try the following way to search more than one Number/Name

• Semi-colon can be used as a separator in the Keyword field and criteria sectionwhen performing anAdvanced Search

• A semi-colon acts as an OR operator in between criteria strings provided for search

• For example:

• Searching with Name=*bolt*;*cam* and Number=gc*

• will be treated as [Name = *bolt* OR Name = *cam*] AND [ Number = gc*

Regards

MKR

Hi Joginder,

can you please give some more info on what you do, to achieve what Antonio ask?

Thanks

Marco

Hi Joginder,

can you please give some more info on what you do, to achieve what Antonio ask?

Thanks

In Reply to Joginder Matharu:

We programed a very simple modification to Windchill and achieved similar functionality using the search, select all, copy and paste functionality.

Marco
Top Tags