cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

What is the Best Practice to Manage Manufacturing BOM in Windchill

SaiPremN_LTTS
6-Contributor

What is the Best Practice to Manage Manufacturing BOM in Windchill

HI All,

I want to know what is the best practice to manage Manufacturing BOM derived from Engineering BOM.

Requirement : Derive MBOM from EBOM based on the 'Source' attribute on child part. i.e. if child part source is 'MAKE' then that child part not required in MBOM, if source is 'BUY' child part is required in MBOM Structure.

Background: Since we wanted to have different source information on the child part based on the EBOM, we have added source information on 'Part Usage Link', such a way it would be different from one EBOM to another EBOM.

This is fine for until we had difference on the first level of the child structure, coming to sub child part, [since usage link is on parent and it's child not on top level parent(i.e. EBOM)] we came across a situation where sub child part also need to have separate source based on the EBOM.

EXAMPLE: In our scenario we mostly get our parts from different plant [Source is considered as 'Make'], in our plant if any child part is missing or required additional part we buy that individual part separately and manage in MBOM[Source is considered as 'Buy']. so sometimes even we get our make part, but sub child part may be missing in one of them, so that sub child part for that particular EBOM we wanted to keep source as 'Buy', in another EBOM where we received it properly we wanted to keep it as 'Make'.

Question: Is there any option to maintain different source value even for multi level structure ?.

Current Suggestion: We recommended to maintain different child part with same sub child structure(Just with a different Number) [Like an alternate or substitute], but the catch here is need to update drawing with the replaced or substituted number, so wanted to avoid changing entire design for different manufacturing BOM.

Hope my query is understood.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags