cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

What's the purpose of Upload button in WGM menu?

TracyNIU
1-Newbie

What's the purpose of Upload button in WGM menu?

When I click the save button in WGM menu (Windchill 10.0 M030), the envent management will prompt me that the part had uploaded. So I want to know if the save button in Windchill 10.0 has replaced the upload ? And why the upload button still there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello, Tracy,

We consulted our subject matter expert to get a more comprehensive reply to your question (included below). We will also ensure that this information is added to our documentation when it is next updated. I hope this helps!

Jane

Firstly, let’s confirm what we are talking about; presumably the Upload action in the WWGM Workspace “File” menu…

OOTB the native CAD Tool “save” command will only save to local cache – it does not “Upload” to the server side Workspace. In such cases “Upload” allows you to upload Workspace data to the server side workspace without checking in. This gives you the advantages of your data being on the server, but without forcing you to check in before you are ready. Advantages of uploading your work to the server….

a. Servers tend to be more fault tolerant and are backed up on a nightly basis, so in the event of you workstation crashing, becoming infected with a virus etc. resulting in loss of work, your work is safely stored on the server and can be downloaded when your workstation is repaired/replaced.

b. Once uploaded to the server side workspace, your work is accessible from any other workstation with the WWGM installed – e.g. if your company has policy of hot-desking where users may use different machines from day to day, you can simply log on to a different machine each morning and your workspace will be available to you and transparently downloaded as you open in the CAD tool.

There is a preference which can be set to upload on every save, in which case the Upload action is redundant since everything will already be Uploaded as soon as you save it (the reason we do not set this OOTB is there is obviously a performance hit uploading to the server, and to do this on every save can cause performance problems or eat up too bandwidth in companies with low bandwidth environments or working across a WAN). From the sounds of the Tracy’s comments it sounds like this preference might have this set…“when I create a new model and click Save, the event manager will prompt me "Successfully upload model"”.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello,

The workgroup manager documentation for 10.0 (available in the Windchill Workgroup Manager 10.0 Help Center) explains the distinction between Upload and Save as follows:

• Upload stores working copies of the files you are editing in your registered CAD application to your personal folder location on the Windchill server, without making your changes visible to other users. Upload is only valid for new or modified files that are checked out to this workspace by you.
  • Saves saves the CAD models, and their dependents currently in session, to the workspace local directory for the active workspace on the primary (Windchill) server. If you attempt to save an object, and there is a conflict that does not allow the save (for example, there is a newer version checked in to Windchill), the Save conflict window appears and notifies you of the issue. It usually gives you a chance to resolve the problem, and allows you to complete the save action.

To locate these descriptions, I opened the Windchill Workgroup Manager 10.0 Help Center and searched on "Upload" and "Save".

If you have suggestions for ways in which we could improve this information, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jane

Jane Zupfer
VP, Windchill Publications
T 763.957.8299 E -

Thanks.

I know the different between Save and Upload. I ask this question because when I create a new model and click Save, the event manager will prompt me "Successfully upload model".

Did you mean that Save only use when upload confict, we can save first, and then modify the models?

By the way, our wgm is with Autodesk Inventor. May it diffierent with wgm with Pro/E?

Hello, Tracy,

We consulted our subject matter expert to get a more comprehensive reply to your question (included below). We will also ensure that this information is added to our documentation when it is next updated. I hope this helps!

Jane

Firstly, let’s confirm what we are talking about; presumably the Upload action in the WWGM Workspace “File” menu…

OOTB the native CAD Tool “save” command will only save to local cache – it does not “Upload” to the server side Workspace. In such cases “Upload” allows you to upload Workspace data to the server side workspace without checking in. This gives you the advantages of your data being on the server, but without forcing you to check in before you are ready. Advantages of uploading your work to the server….

a. Servers tend to be more fault tolerant and are backed up on a nightly basis, so in the event of you workstation crashing, becoming infected with a virus etc. resulting in loss of work, your work is safely stored on the server and can be downloaded when your workstation is repaired/replaced.

b. Once uploaded to the server side workspace, your work is accessible from any other workstation with the WWGM installed – e.g. if your company has policy of hot-desking where users may use different machines from day to day, you can simply log on to a different machine each morning and your workspace will be available to you and transparently downloaded as you open in the CAD tool.

There is a preference which can be set to upload on every save, in which case the Upload action is redundant since everything will already be Uploaded as soon as you save it (the reason we do not set this OOTB is there is obviously a performance hit uploading to the server, and to do this on every save can cause performance problems or eat up too bandwidth in companies with low bandwidth environments or working across a WAN). From the sounds of the Tracy’s comments it sounds like this preference might have this set…“when I create a new model and click Save, the event manager will prompt me "Successfully upload model"”.

Hi Jane,

Thanks very much! I find that preference "Upload After Native Save", and the value is true.

Top Tags