cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

What steps to be followed to clone Windchill server?

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone

What steps to be followed to clone Windchill server?

Dear All,

I am trying to perform windchill cloning but I am having problem with method server and server manager getting crashed. 

Steps I performed:

1. Datapump of oracle database. ->expdp

2. Exported LDIF file and took backup of WindchillDS. 

3. Copied HTTPServer, Windchill folder from host system

4. Setup a server with same host and domain name. Installed Oracle with same SID and credentials as host system. Run the PSI with standalone components where I installed only WCDS, Java, OCU. Then imported dump file of oracle using impdp. Imported ldif and restored using WindchillDS backup. 

Changed host property in db.properties file with host name and java.server.rmi.hostname in wt.properties file. 

Since in host machine filevault was setup I changed filevault property to false instead of true. 

After launching windchill shell and starting windchill, server manager gets crashed sometime leaving behind background method server running. Sometimes method server keeps running but server manager and background method server gets crashed. I checked for logs but there are no errors being displayed there. 

Is there any step I have missed? Please help. I am not rehosting I am trying to setup a clone server.

Vinay S.
CADOpt Technologies Private Limited
Bengaluru.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vinay_S
15-Moonstone
(To:Vinay_S)

Hi Florent and Jeff,
I was just trying to clone my host server and not rehost it. I tried importing db again and then i did not setup filevault in clone server but I had setup in host server so changed forceContentToVault value to false in wt.properties and restarted. It is working now. Thank you for your suggestions.
Vinay S.
Bengaluru.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Florent
14-Alexandrite

You likely need to perform a rehost.

Depending on the release, there is a RehostUtilty available in downloads.

Florent

Florent ROUSSEL
www.4cad.ca

There is also documentation for Rehosting:

Windchill Rehost Utility Guide

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone

Hi Florent and Jeff,
I was just trying to clone my host server and not rehost it. I tried importing db again and then i did not setup filevault in clone server but I had setup in host server so changed forceContentToVault value to false in wt.properties and restarted. It is working now. Thank you for your suggestions.
Vinay S.
Bengaluru.
aakolkar
4-Participant

What is the difference between a Windchill server clone and a rehost?

Thanks,

Amol

aakolkar
4-Participant
(To:aakolkar)

Vinay_S
15-Moonstone
(To:aakolkar)

Hi Amol,

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS265773 -> this article gives a clear picture of what the difference is.

Further as per my understanding, when you want to have an identical system running on two hosts you perform cloning (This is what I was trying to achieve).

When you have different host names and you want to setup another system at times of disaster recovery etc you perform rehosting.

Gurus with more understanding and knowledge about these two process can help us understand better. 

@Anonymous @BenLoosli @JeffZemsky Kindly help us know better w.r.t the differences.

Vinay S.
Bengaluru.
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Not sure I qualify as a guru...maybe battle scarred.

My first suggestion is to download the Rehost Guide and read and UNDERSTAND Chapter 1!!!

https://www.ptc.com/support/-/media/85B684F224464A05AE8F345DD32D7961.pdf

There are 4 rehost scenarios: Rename, Rehost, Close and Move.

In some cases, you may need to run the Rehost utility twice with different settings.

Be sure you download the latest Rehost utilty code. There were some errors in the prior version. I believe Rehost Utility 11.0 m030 is the latest with the proper commands.

Top Tags