cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

What the best practice for document to document links?

V_1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

What the best practice for document to document links?

Can someone please tell me what the best practice for document links are? 

Say I have a manufacturing process instruction that references multiple tools in the build procedure.  I create a “References Documents” link in my manufacturing instruction Document, to the Tool Documents. Now the one of the Tool Document revises.  Am I supposed to revise every manufacturing instruction document that references that tool document in its’ procedure? 

In my case, I don’t care if that Tool revises, my manufacturing process document still uses it.

Please advise.

14 REPLIES 14
Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I
(To:V_1)
V_1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Thanks for that info.  However, I am looking for Document to Document links without WTParts involved at all.  

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

There's no way.

Marco
V_1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Well thanks,

That is kind of what I was beginning to think.

I am entertaining the idea of using the Document structure.  If I put the Tool Documents as children in the structure, the document should always stay linked.  However, they are really not components to that document,  they really are only reference documents to it.  I am torn a little.  Any thoughts on using document structure to accomplish my revision independent document to document links?

mdebower
18-Opal

Corey, in my experience the farther you stray off the reservation, the greater the chance of something bad happening in the future.  Windchill was designed to use WTParts to collect those documents together.  Sure you can link things in other ways, but they are usually more work to create and maintain.  Then a future release comes along and changes the functionality slightly and you are SOL.   My advice would be to proceed with caution.

-marc

V_1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

Any advice on how to link in my Tooling reference documents?

For clarification, here is my situation.

I have WTPart ABC123

WTPart ABC123 has two described by documents…. A drawing and a material specification.

WTPart ABC123 also has one references document….. A manufacturing instruction document.

Now my problem is that manufacturing instruction document calls out the use of tool document XYZ123.

How would I link the manufacturing instruction document, to the tool document ?

What I have learned, is that I do not want the manufacturing instruction document to use the document  “References Documents” link to the tool XYZ123 document, because if I revise the Tool to revision B, the manufacturing instruction document still links to revision A.

How do people do this?  I can’t be the first person to link a document to another document and not care about the revision. 

I want the equivalent of within a WTPart, the References Document link.  Most current version always listed!!!

That, but within a Documents.

Any advice?

A couple of options:

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=DocMgmtDocReferenceAbout&action=show

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=DocMgmtDocStructureTableRef&action=show

In either case, the link is to the "master", which is generally going to display the latest revision. It sounds like Document References is the closest fit to what you describe.

kpritchard
4-Participant

Suggest creating a WTPart to represent Tool XYZ and reference it in your Manufacturing Instruction.  You can also have a described by Document then for Tool XYZ that specifies the tools (either COTS or purpose built).  The Manufacturing Instruction then is referenced by both the functional WTPart ABC123 and WTPart ToolXYZ.

V_1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:kpritchard)

Thanks for all the suggestions and input.  It is much appreciated!  However, after speaking with PTC support several times throughout the week, what I am trying to do is not possible OTB and requires customization (email below). This is very disappointing to me. Link 2 documents together, and always show the latest version……  The functionality is there for a Part, linking to a References Documents.  I want the same thing for a Document.  In my mind it shouldn’t be that difficult. 

Hi Corey,

As discussed on call, it is works to specification and we do not have Out Of the Box way to achieve our requirement.

However, you can explore the possibility with customization and can work with our customization team however

You will need to have resourses who know Windchill API and Java development knowledge.

I am closing this case with our agreement for now. Please feel free to get in touch with us for any queries.

Regards,

Om

mdebower
18-Opal

So, can you use the existing functionality to achieve your goal?   Use reference documents and WTParts.  I don't know if you need to get too hung up on nomenclature.

V_1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:mdebower)

The problem is my Part already has several Describing documents, as it should, and I have my Manufacturing Instructions as Reference Documents for the Part.  The issue I have is that the Manufacturing Instructions reference other 7-8 other Windchill Documents.  Stuff like Tools and fixtures, sanding instructions, painting instructions, and other documents.  Those documents don't necessary have Parts.  Most are stand alone processing instruction documents.   I could add all of those as Reference Documents to the Part, but where do I stop? Because half of them call out other documents.  I would like to see how other manufacturers tie documents together. We are still in the implementation of Windchill and these are critical decisions.  

kpritchard
4-Participant

The linkage of Primary Item to Primary Document to Secondary Item that I described previously is in alignment with the CMII Configuration Management methodology, which many manufacturers across a broad spectrum of industries have implemented.  Physical Items used to support Manufacturing are considered Secondary Items that are defined and specified by Documents.  Primary Items and Secondary Items are linked through Primary Documents.

Suggestions for your additional Documents that the Manufacturing Instructions reference are;

1. Create a Document Structure (or hierarchy) making the referenced Documents children (or components) of the Manufacturing Instruction
  2. Reference the additional Documents directly.  This would be my suggestion if these are stand-alone Documents.  If you go this way you will get a much better capability for doing impacts analysis when considering a change to any of these procedure documents and be able to make a better Revise or Replace decision.
  3. Consider an overhaul of your Document architecture (probably in combination with 2 above)

When you adopt any PLM Tool such as Windchill, you are not only implementing a new tool - you're really implementing a new kind of tool so doing things the old way with the new capabilities are often less than optimal.  I've had several of these "aha" moments along the way and have evolved my thinking about how to do things.

HugoHermans
9-Granite

Hi Corey,

Have you considered master-master configurable links?  We have such additional links now in production for WTPart to WTPart, and have a setup in development for document to document.  This is standard functionality, but has to setup.

Regards,  Hugo.

V_1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestion I am taking a look at the documentation now.

Top Tags