cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

What version of Solidworks is currently supported by Workgroup Manager?

jormsby
1-Newbie

What version of Solidworks is currently supported by Workgroup Manager?

My company recently learned that PDMLink is in our future and I'm looking for information how to use a PTC PDM product to manage Solidworks files?

Is it realistic to start with a local installation of Windchill PDM Essentials as a short term solution and stepping stone to an enterprise wide PDMLink system? Will either of these systems accept Solidworks 2016 files?

Thanks,

Josh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you are looking for an enterprise wide PDM, I am curious to know why you are going with PDME

Essentials does not support change objects(ECN,ECO) ,enterprise parts(define structure independent of CAD), ECAD(Mentor Graphics) and ERP Integration. On top of that there is no option for distributed installation of Windchill and database. No replication server support as well. Attached is a comparison which I got from PTC.

It is definitely a stepping stone, but if any of the above sounds critical to your business, then you should consider PDMLink. PDME would definitely serve the purpose as a multi CAD repository

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:jormsby)

I'm not familiar with the stripped down PDM Essentials, but PDM Link does support SolidWorks 2016 in the both the workgroup manager (10.2 M030 CPS13) and the Creo View Adapters (CAD workers for publishing).

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

We have several dozen users using SW with Windchill using work group manager.  All going very smoothly.

Mike, Tom, Ben,

Thanks for the quick answers. I do also need more information about the differences between PDM Essentials and PDMLink. I understand that 'Essentials' is a sub-set of PDMLink, but I haven't seen a good comparison.

I need a tool that can be implemented without huge investments in time and money. It also only needs to handle internal files. The integration with our much larger parent company is planned, but will take a lot longer (a move to PDMLink).

The product pages are full of useless marketing platitudes, I need some actual facts.

Thanks again,

Josh

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Take a look at these PDFs:

https://www.ptc.com/~/media/Files/PDFs/PLM/PDM-Product-Matrix.ashx?la=en

http://www.eacpds.com/images/PTC/PDMEssentials/Windchill_PDM_Essentials_DS_EN.pdf

Basically, if you just need CAD vaulting, PDME should be more than sufficient.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

As long as you maintain the proper versions of PDMLink and SolidWorks, you will be fine.

If you are looking for an enterprise wide PDM, I am curious to know why you are going with PDME

Essentials does not support change objects(ECN,ECO) ,enterprise parts(define structure independent of CAD), ECAD(Mentor Graphics) and ERP Integration. On top of that there is no option for distributed installation of Windchill and database. No replication server support as well. Attached is a comparison which I got from PTC.

It is definitely a stepping stone, but if any of the above sounds critical to your business, then you should consider PDMLink. PDME would definitely serve the purpose as a multi CAD repository

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

Binesh,

Thank you for the data sheet, it's simple and to the point.

To address your question; there already is a team on the other side of the country/company with the mandate to set up an enterprise wide PDM system and they have decided on PDMLink.

I have an overloaded, archaic local vault system that needs to be replaced quickly.  I can live without the extra features with the knowledge that they are being planned for.

Thanks,

Josh

Top Tags