cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

What would cause to no longer allow users to rename WTParts or any other objects?

AM_10594865
2-Guest

What would cause to no longer allow users to rename WTParts or any other objects?

ACL has been created with modify identity access  for WTParts in all lifecycle states. But user is not able to rename at Eng hold state/reviewed/underreview states.

7 REPLIES 7

There are a few possible reasons. There could be deny rights which would trump any grant. Those should be easy to spot. You can check View Access Control Lists to see a summary and spot that:

avillanueva_0-1677240495277.png

Remember also that a rename or identity change is a change to the master. The user needs rights for all versions/iterations so if they did not have rights for one state in its history, you'll get a block. Our users can rename in the initial version so long as it remained in In Work state. But you said that you granted rights for all states. 

What does the methodserver log show for this event? There should be an entry where it denied identity change for a specific reason.

Thank you avillanueva for your answers,

custom validator is used on rename action, I just wanted to know because of this it is not showing the rename action? 

Hi @AM_10594865 

As @Dobi said it can be profile that does not show the action and very important point is that there is a profile that depends on license group attached to a user. 

I have experience, for example with Basic Windchill license that do not allow users to use save as action from comonspace on CAD Documents. Our case was connected to Arbortext data saved as Dynamic Documents. 

PetrH

Oh, is that a question?  I would certainly want to eliminate any customization as a cause. Here is a simple test you can run as those users. Add "&jcaDebug=true" to the end of a URL on a page that has that action. You will see a bunch of red icons appear. Open the actions menu and you should see what validator enabled or disabled the action:

avillanueva_0-1677673338080.png

Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:AM_10594865)

In addition to what @avillanueva said, there was a change in Windchill 12 I think to where Rename was moved to Profiles. So if the Rename button is missing altogether, check there.

You can check whether the problem is actually due to a licensing profile, which limits the actions available to the user, by exporting from Windchill an Excel file showing all the actions available for each licensing profile in the system.

From license profiles select the ones you want to verify and export to Excel with the appropriate button

Marco_Tosin_0-1677677631225.png

See attached Excel

Marco

Are there lock transitions in the lifecycle for these states?

jbailey_0-1678374635815.png

Top Tags