cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Why PTC decided to not enable these features also on 10.2 version?

Marco_Tosin
21-Topaz I

Why PTC decided to not enable these features also on 10.2 version?

I followed with great interest the discussion of who was in the LiveWorx, complaining that the PTC's focus has moved on IoT products by putting a little into the background CAD and PLM products.

So what is your assessment of this year's Liveworx?

Personally I appreciate that PTC is always looking for the very latest technology and the fact that wants to bring these possibilities in its products.

What I like less is that sometimes PTC seems to behave like children in front of a new toy putting the old in a corner and using it very rarely.

I would just point out a couple of cases as an example.

A few weeks ago I ran a search in Windchill to find old iterations of very heavy CAD objects and then perform the cleaning of all the old except the last iterations.

I used this feature many times in 10.1 and I discovered, with big surprise, that it is disappeared in version 10.2.

What makes me angry is the fact that PTC has decided to re-introduce this feature only with version 11 M010 and not with a CPS of 10.2

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS212734

Who the hell decided to remove this feature or who forgot to even bring it back to 10.2?

In this article you can find another example

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS202411

This issue has been reported since 10.0 M030 and it is planned to be released with 11.0 M020 !!!!!

I think it's crazy because this BIG issue should have been resolved immediately and not be considered as an enhancement.

Not being able to see a WTPart in the search results when it has an alternate BOM, if there are multiple views of the same part, it's like as if a person was going to buy a car and someone told him "You can choose from many options: with the steering wheel, the gear shift, the wheels, the engine" but could not buy it with all the options simultaneously.

Absolutely crazy.

There is some product manager who wants to explain to the community these choices?

Marco
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have just installed CPS20 on our test server and also verified that issue has finally solved.

Marco

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Hi Marco

Search on Alternates BOM is one of our call ....   Alternates are, for lot of features, UI of windchill , forgotten ....  no display ... etc ... lot of issues regarding alternates

I'm agree with you.  This should not be an enhancement ...

The reason invoked by PTC for fixing it only in 11, is technological ...  too much things to touch in 10 to fix it ... and as the 11 has major enhancement in the Advanced Search field (Partslink classification serach merge, related objects search etc ....)

For the Liveworx ... Think all customers have in mind the beginning of years 2000's .... where PTC drop off R&D on ProEngineer (which benefit to DS Catia and NX) for almost 10 years and focus on PLM and Windchill....

R&D. Research and Development  : R for future mid/long term application.  D for actual product development ...

If they put all the money in R ... what about the D for customers live in production in Windchill/Creo.  with still so many "basic" functionnalities that we can not achieve without customization .... or removing applets ,  etc ...

I do love the ThingWorx Platform but I agree with all of you. PTC has big platform changes ahead and this won't be easy, otherwise the Windchill platform will slowly get dusty...

yes ... IoTs is one thing ...  getting informations from "real" objects can have application in Industry ... lot of uses cases for MES system can be IoTs ...

but Thingworx is also a Platform ....

after the first PTC navigate Apps ... just smell like Windchill 12 or 1x will be with a new UI green and blue ....

Lot of UI custos to rewrite ,   like upgrades from Foundation 6.2.6 to PDMlink 9.1 to 10.2 .... 🙂

‌I understand you, but the Internet technology changed a lot in the last view years! Can you imagine a JSP GUI builder for Windchill? With Thingworx you have it! And your up to date with HTML5 and Java is only in the background.

Sometimes it's good to get rid of old and deprecated technology like JSP. PTC is not able to make this switch fast, that's probably also the reason why they introduced the new core UI framework.

But it will hurt since the 10.2 platform runs quite stable...just the performance could be better....

It's been a week now since my requests, but nothing came from PTC.

Anyone who would like to give an answer?

Marco
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:Marco_Tosin)

Marco,

Regarding the Delete Non-latest iterations, the action was removed in 10.2 M030 as a result of another internal SPR. The expected mechanism to delete non-latest iterations for CAD Docs is purge in 10.2 M030. As you mentioned, it is added back in OOTB in 11. You can manually add the action back into the actions list. I found the following documented as a workaround for 10.2 in the internal notes of the SPR:

Action models at UI level can be customized. Customer has to add “deleteIterations” action in ${wt.home}\codebase\config\actions\custom-actionModels.xml along with all the OOTB actions present in UwgmCadx-actiomodels.xml.

Following are the steps:

1)      Copy all out of the box action models supported in ${wt.home}\codebase\config\actions\UwgmCadx-acitonModels.xml for EPMDocument to ${wt.home}\codebase\config\actions\custom-actionModels.xml

2)  Add new entry <action name="deleteIterations" type="object"/>                          <!-- Delete Non-latest Iterations -->

3)  Reload the actions.

Refer to Customization Points in Pages 547 and 515 customization guide  for more details.

Regarding the Alternate BOM search, I don't have much info to provide on that at present. It may be worth opening a ticket to see if there is any possibility of getting a patch in the 10.2 stream.

Thanks for your answer Lori.

I'll try your suggest.

Marco

Hi Lori,

the solution you provided to delete non latest iterations works.

Thanks.

Marco

Case opened https://support.ptc.com/apps/case_logger_viewer/auth/ssl/case=13272239.

This was my request:

I opened this case after suggestion made by Lori Sood in this discussion

Solved: Why PTC decided to not enable these features also ... - PTC Community

I have also read article https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS202411 and if you look at above discussion you can find that other users are expecting a solution in some future CPS for 10.2 M030.

In that discussion you can also find some use cases for our request.

We all think that this is not an enhancement because if it's  possible to create an alternate part for a view it MUST be also possible to search for it.

Waiting for a solution in some future CPS, could you please suggest a workaround (SQL query or query builder report) to  achieve same results?

Thanks.

Marco

This is the last update I got from TS:

Hello Marco,

Yes, she (Lori) is asking for double-check of the status in fact.

This is what I will do with the R&D. I will gather some more details and see if it can be backported in 10.2 M030.

However, I cannot guarantee anything as some customers already asked for a backport but it was not possible.

I will check and let you know the result beginning next week.

Best regards,

1. Karim.
Marco

This is the good news just arrived from TS:

Some good news to provide at the moment. After some analysis and discussion, the R&D agreed to backport the fix to 10.2 M030.

For the moment the target is 10.2 M030 CPS20.

I will keep you informed in case there are any changes in the plan.

Marco

Today TS published some news about my second request (Latest versions of views with Alternate BOMs are not found with a "Search").

Issue will be fixed with CPS20 scheduled in November (see below article)

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?source=subscription&n=CS202411

Thanks again to Karim of TS.

I will mark this discussion as answered after testing CPS20 next month.

Marco

Hi

lot of lobbying also from our side for this backport   🙂

Thanks also to Serge and Mario from PTC TS

waiting the CPS to test the effective solution,  cause during exchange with R&D and QA , they give an example of search result

in the yellow table.

Seems to be a Typo in the spec, cause I ask to have the second result in green

wait and see

search_latest_Alternate.jpg

Hi Gregory,

the unity is strength, so thanks also to you.

Marco

I think PTC should listen more often to their community! There are already a lot of very interesting ideas and concepts here. So let's push it further!

I have just installed CPS20 on our test server and also verified that issue has finally solved.

Marco
Top Tags