cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Why am I asked to check things out just to open a drawing?

smandel
5-Regular Member

Why am I asked to check things out just to open a drawing?

I really need help with this. It bugs me. When I go to open certain things (drawings, assemblies, whatever) I am given the pop up window that says "This object is read only as it is not checked out" and gives me a list of things to check out. I can find no rhyme or reason to what it wants me to check out. For instance, right now, I am trying to open a drawing of an assembly. The drawing is in a released state, the assemblies in the drawing are in released states. All I want to do is open the drawing. Why on earth would I be asked to check out two (not all, just two) of the sub assemblies?

Any clues, hints, nudges in the right direction would be hugely appreciated. I'm sure there's some logic, I'm just completely missing it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LoriSood
22-Sapphire II
(To:smandel)

Oftentimes the notice about objects getting marked as modified are tied to config.pro settings. The following article provides a list of config.pro settings that can be manipulated to prevent unwanted modifications: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS32596

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

One common thing that leads to this:

- check out and change a drawing, but don't check out related model(s)

- change something in the drawing that in fact get saved in the model

- select to Continue for the model

- check in the drawing

- next retrieval of the drawing (possibly by someone else at a later time), message log says "drawing is more recent than the model"

Have to check out the model to apply the pending changes stored in the drawing.  These are "time bombs" in the system.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Choose "continue", then open the assembly and choose "save".  Look in your workspace and see what actually got saved.  Since it's an assembly, I would guess one of the models was changed but the assembly wasn't regenerated and save afterwards.  The next time the assembly is opened it sees it needs to update but to do so requires being checked out.  Sometimes relations, Pro/Program, and automatic mass properties calculations can also cause changes each time an object is opened.

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Oftentimes the notice about objects getting marked as modified are tied to config.pro settings. The following article provides a list of config.pro settings that can be manipulated to prevent unwanted modifications: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS32596

smandel
5-Regular Member

Thank you all for your help. It's greatly appreciated. I think I have a better understanding and have stopped a good deal of the pop ups.

Top Tags