cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Windchill 10.0 - Oracle Enterprise Edition or Oracle Standard Edition.

dgraham-4
1-Newbie

Windchill 10.0 - Oracle Enterprise Edition or Oracle Standard Edition.

Does any one have any experience using Oracle Standard Edition vs Oracle
Enterprise Edition for their Windchill dB?

We have ~ 500 users, 50 of which are ProE users.

Our dB is not small. The dB dump, compressed, is ~ 50 GB.

David Graham
CAx/PDM Administrator

Emhart Glass Manufacturing Inc.
Emhart Glass Research Center
123 Great Pond Drive | PO Box 220 | Windsor, CT 06095-0220 | USA
Telephone +1 (860) 298 7377 | Telefax +1 (860) 298 7397
Mobile +1 (203) 376-3144 |
3 REPLIES 3

I think the diffrence between Standard and Enterprise is not depend on the size of DB, there maybe some feature diffrence, but it's same using Standard and Enterprise edition of oracle database

Hello David,

For what I know the product is the same between enterprise and standard, by the same I mean it has the same performance and same core features.
But the standard is very limited, for example you cannot active the tuning pack or any other pack, which are very helpful with PDMLink.
I'm not sure but maybe like Windows you have a limitation on CPU and RAM.
More details can be found here :

Tere is some differences as it applies to oracle. Refer to this link: http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_so_oracle_standard_enterprise_edition.htm

We have about the same datadump excluding vaulted content as you do. Our database never run any better. Just make sure you put enough RAM to your allocated memory of your database. For us, we have:

• one deticated Linux blade server with 8 cores and 48 GIGs of ram.

• The database is installed will an allocation of 40% of the ram. See attached document.

• Make sure that each table space is only 50% full so you always have a contiguous datafile and not fragmented all over the place. Yes, there are SANs that do it for you, but you can't be lazy and rely on auto-extending. Sometimes/most timesWindchil can't wait for autoextenting and times out

• All of our installation and datafiles are mounted from an HP EVA.

• because we use a blade configuration, our database server, windchill server, CAD worker, and document worker are all connected via a 10GIGE switch.

We like the fact that all the alerts and oracle dbconsole tools are available in oracle enterprise with:

• table space utilization

• performace graphs

• advisor for:

• need more SGA

• or other issues with Windchill indexes

• etc.

We were able to instantly send the SQL and find the origin of the issue to PTC when we had issues in Windchill 9.0. I really don't know if SQL Server can beat the performance of a Linux server with Oracle Enterprise. I just wish PTC supported Windchill on PostgreSQL which is free like Linux butsupported by a company like RedHat. I always find that Oracle DBAs have to know Windchill application in order to tune Windchill. Thus, these Oracle DBAs are specialized in Windchill.

Good luck,

Patrick

Top Tags