cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 10.1 M030 to Windchill 10.1 M050

metherington
1-Newbie

Windchill 10.1 M030 to Windchill 10.1 M050

This weekend i'm going to be shutting down our server taking a snapshot in Vcenter and performing an upgrade from M30 to M050

Hopefully this should sort a few of our problems here are there!

Just wondering if anyone has any tips / tricks or has ran into any problems whilst doing the upgrade?

Everything is located on one server e.g. oracle database & apache server & windchill server & file vaults are all on the same server which should makes things a little easier!

This is my first windchill system upgrade, have read through the documentation and doesn't look too difficult!

Thanks,

12 REPLIES 12

Two things from my experience.

1. Install Cumulative Patch - https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS191852
  2. Some actions were failing in 10.1 M050 - Fixed by https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS198225

I would recommend a rehearsal to try out on a update before you try on actual production.  VM Snapshots are pretty robust and since you have a monolithic setup, recovery would be fairly easy( In the event of a failure). Even though it is not a mandatory process, I will still run a Windu to ensure that everything is good. Apart from that, update is fairly easier than upgrade, just PSI and update_tool. All the best

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller International

Thanks mate looks like some really useful information.

Jus to confirm to upgrade you would....

> Backup system

> Download relevant service pack from PTC

> Run & follow through Upgrade Manager

> Test system

Thanks,

Mike

Pretty much, to summarize

1. Backup the system.
  2. Take a backup of Windchill Load point somewhere outside VM. This is to keep a reference point, because you are using snapshot.
  3. Download CD's of all installed components
  4. Run PSI with update existing installation option(preserve web and tomcat conf files)
  5. Run update_tool
  6. If you are having customization, then you have to take care of wtsafearea & wtcustom
  7. Apply cumulative patch
  8. Redeploy all DTI, Workgroup Manager

We will not use upgrademanager here.

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller

I did updation of the same last week.

Based on my experience, I would like to suggest you following..

1. Take Full Backup.

2. Install Cumulative Patches For 10.1 M010. ( Go through https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/patch/patch.jsp ).

3. Install WINDU Patches. ( Go through http://support.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/freefull_cs.jsp?&im_dbkey=122537&icg_dbkey=893 )

4. Better to run WINDU(Not Mandatory).

5. Proceed with 10.1 M050 installation with Update option.

6. Run update tool.

That's it.  It is recommended to make virtual system of production for changes.

So enjoy the Windchill updation

Chaitanya, Do we have cumulative patches for 10.1 M010

Thanks

Binesh

Hi Binesh,

Yes, we do have. SUP11 .

Hi Chaitanya - SUP patches are different from  Cumulative Patches. Cumulative patches are more like CPS.In your steps, I am wondering why you did not apply the patch after the update, after step#6? What you will have now is SUP11, not PS8. I think you have to install cumulative patch to fix some of the issues. I think it is a good idea to review/compare the readme files of the patch you installed and PS8

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller

Are the SUP patches necessary to install as it was my understanding that when upgrading to the next date code that previous SUP patches will be bundled in e.g.

M030 to M050 will include SUP patches for M030 & M040 ???

Thanks,

Your understanding is correct. The fixes in SUP11 are all included either in the M050 service pack or the M050 cumulative patches. As long as you apply the latest cumulative patch after updating to M050, you will have all the fixes from the M030/M040 SUP11 patch.

Thanks for input.

I will get M030 Patches installed then as per your link and then run WinDU

We do have a few errors in WinDU such as:

> Objects In multiple lifecycle states

> Family table errors

> PrincipalValidator errors

> Workflow processing referring to a non-existing team

> CabinetBased data that has a different container reference that the cabinet it lives in.

Would these effect the upgrade?

Will look into getting these sorted this week

Thanks,

Most of them have solutions available and you will be able to find fixes in esupport portal. FT Validators - just see whether the error code is critical https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS211308

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller

Thanks Binesh,

Have just looked through the support portal and all looks like can be simply **hopefully** fixed with WinRU.

We have over 3k FT ERROR's

But 0 Critical which is some good news!

Top Tags