cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 10.2 packaging

jjames-2
5-Regular Member

Windchill 10.2 packaging

Hi folks,

We have Windchill instance hosted in the United States and 5 global replicas scattered throughout the world.  We are trying to get ODMs in Asia to adopt more typical usage using Creo / Windchill within the workspace but performance in some areas is very lack luster.  Even with regional / local replicas in place, the 250+ latency back to master combined with the ODMs own network challenges make Creo usage in a integrated workspace challenging and time consuming.  It seems PTC will not support a multi-master setup which leaves me wondering about further options.  So, plan B.  

How many of you use Windchill packaging?  Creo packing?  Are there any good presentations about how to set this up, what the pitfalls are, etc?  I think at this point I would like to do a proof of concept with select ODMs to see if packaging would be a better offline / working solution.

thoughts / anything to share?

Jon

5 REPLIES 5
jjames-2
5-Regular Member
(To:jjames-2)

*bump*

Any input from the community here? 

Did you look at Windchill Replication Package functionality - http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc110_hc/index.jspx?id=PackageReplAbout&action=show.  I haven't used this in a production environment, but I know some of the companies use this method to transfer between multiple Windchill Systems. If you are primarily dealing with Creo, PLM Connector – Creo Packages

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

You can use Cache Vault type of vault that Windchill uses for storing content files when they are uploaded or checked in to Windchill. One vault of this type is required on the main server and one on each file server on which users can upload files. One function of the cache vault is to provide a consistent initial storage location for each site to minimize the pre-processing required prior to capturing the content. This enables the fastest possible capture of the content and allows the user to continue working while Windchill delivers the content to its final vault location in the background.

For visualization, consider deploying Creo View workers on all Windchill servers with external (replica or master) vaults.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS251870

jjames-2
5-Regular Member
(To:SergeyEfimov)

Hi Segey,

We are already implemented this way.  Each of the replicas have local cache so the users in the region can upload files directly to the file vault upon upload check in.  Additionally we have the proxy configuration set within the file vaults to pick next closets file vault to check if the content is not available on their replica.

The issue at hand here is Creo / Workspace usage and the workspace performance across high latency network performs very poorly.  We've done a few tips / techniques around the workspace columns as well but has little relief.   Remember that all calls from the client are being made back to the master and the Creo workspace functionality appears quite chatty.

I'm wondering if there are any presentations out there regarding packaging functionality.  I've read through the help but I'm looking for more of a tips / techniques information on how to set it up and maintain.  This way the global design partner can work in a sudo offline mode, package content and check the package into windchill.

SergeyEfimov
13-Aquamarine

Windchill package or Windchill PLM Connector?

In any case the package is a local Windchill Server )

Top Tags