cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 10 Stuck in subfolder

ptc-2734082
1-Newbie

Windchill 10 Stuck in subfolder

A few of our engineers keep having the same problem. Once we navigate down into a subfolder we can not naviate back to a folder above it. If you click on a folder higher in the file path - next to the home button - the screen loads then drops you right back down into the folder you were in. It's almost as if the page is caching and refusing to navigate away from the current folder.

Please help! The only solution we have come up with is restarting Creo, but once you move into a subfolder you are stuck there. So to work in another folder you have to restart again.

8 REPLIES 8

I was wondering if anyone has a solution to this besides going through the Folder Tree (or restarting). This is still happening in Windchill 10.2. I have been stuck in subfolders while operating within the Windchill breadcrumb trail...

dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-2734082)

I've noticed this same behavior. I filed a case with PTC and they say it's not a bug and it's "working to specification". However, all of their customers are saying, "no, it doesn't work".

So, I created this idea:

Make Breadcrumb Trail Work Correctly

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1832

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dhermosillo)

Re-open your case and make them provide you with the portion of the specification that states this intended functionality. I suspect this is a case of behavior that is simply unspecified.

dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

Here is the response I got from PTC support:

"

Please refer to the attached “breadcrumbs.wmv” movie file & the below explanation from R&D as to why this is working as designed

> Clicking on "Products" would take you to the product listing page

> Clicking on "Golf_Cart" takes you to the last folder the you visited in the Golf_Cart container (in this scenario, that's the same one you are seeing so it stays put)

> Clicking on "Folders" takes you to the top-level folder, i.e., the Cabinet, of the Golf_Cart container;

> Clicking on "Design" takes you to the "Design" folder.

Clicking on folders does what you describe. Clicking on Products is supposed to go to the last folder (which is i the currently viewed one in this scenario. If there are more levels of folders you will see more levels in the breadcrumbs to take you up to various levels. In this example the user is only down one level and the folders link is then one level up.

These are working to spec. Closing the SPR as works to spec."

dhermosillo
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

So, essentially, PTC believes that this is acceptable functionality and that they get to redefine how breadcrumb trails work.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dhermosillo)

This seems to be working better in 10.2 M010. I can drill down into a folder many levels deep and follow the breadcrumb trail all the way back up. (I'm one level deeper than the image shows.)

3.PNG

Forcing the browser to refresh the page doesn't take me to a different page, it reloads the current page (as it should). The only problem I'm seeing is when a page is forcefully reloaded (using the browser's refresh or back button) the navigation pane on the left doesn't always finish loading. About 50% of the time it the spinning wheel just keeps going round and round.

2.PNG

Hi Timothy,

I am looking into the issue and will be contacting the associated developer on the SPR.

It looks like this may be in a cycle of finding that someone has said this is "working to spec" and siting that 1 statement. Then being followed up as "working to spec" in each subsequent case, without the clear message being delievered.

To help define the issue could you confirm that this is the use case that we are looking at.

When navigating down, the user is only down one level and the folders link is then one level up.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Hi Everyone,

I have been talking with R&D, as well as the product manager, regarding this and they have definitly taken note of this not performing as expected, and will be considering the desired performance in the future designs.

That being said this is currently considered working to spec.

BUT let me give some more details about why.

• First, note that the breadcrumb trail isn't part of the folder browser. This is a navigation feature that is provided on all Windchill pages
  • The relevant specified behavior for the breadcrumb trail as shown on the folder browser is as follows:
    1. If the user navigates to the folder browser page by a link that identifies a container (e.g, Product, Project, etc.), but not a specific folder in that container, and the user has not previously visited any folder in that container within the current session, then the folder browser should select and show the contents of the DEFAULT Cabinet in that container. (Note: this applies even if the user was previously visiting the Agreement Cabinet in the container.)
    2. If the user navigates to the folder browser page by a link that identifies a container, but not a specific folder within that container, then if the user has previously visited a folder in that container within the current session, the folder browser should select and show the contents of that "last visited folder" in that container.
    3. If the user navigates to the folder browser page by a link that identifies a Cabinet or a specific SubFolder in a container, then the folder browser should select and show the contents of that Cabinet or SubFolder.

So, for example, assume you have created a new folder, "F1", in the "Design" folder of the Golf Cart product, and you have navigated to that folder. You will now see this in the Breadcrumb trail at the top of the folder browser page:crumbzz.jpg

Given the above breadcrumb trail:

• Clicking on "Products" takes you to the product listing page.
  • Clicking on "Golf_Cart" in the breadcrumb trail displays, in the folder browser, the last folder visited by the current user in the current session in the Golf_Cart container. In this scenario, that's the folder currently displayed, i.e., "F1". Note that clicking on "Golf_Cart" in the folder tree will display the contents of that top-level folder (i.e., cabinet) in the Folder Contents table.
  • Clicking on "Folders" displays the top-level folder, i.e., the Cabinet, of the Golf_Cart product in the folder browser.
  • Clicking on "Design" displays the "Design" folder in the folder browser.

I really hope this helped clarify. Let me know if you have any questions about what I stated here though.

Thanks,

Jarrett

Top Tags