cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 10

gkemner
1-Newbie

Windchill 10

When is Windchill 10 due out? Anyone seen any presentations on it yet?
19 REPLIES 19

We are planning on migrating 6 databases from Ilink 3.4 to WC intralink
9.x/10 later this year.
As the migration will be finished at the earliest by the end of the year
we might consider going to WC10 (should be M020 or M030 by then).
We might have to migrate to 9.1 first and then upgrade to 10, we don't
know, that is one of the dark areas for the moment...

As a proactive excercise I'm trying to find as much information as
possible about windchill 10 so we can make a good pro's and con's list.
Anyone that can provide me with information will be much appreciated,
presentations, docs, opinions on the mailing list, etc etc...

* ProE/Creo version compatibility
* Migration path intralink 3.4 -> Windchill 10
* Functional comparison table intralink 3.4 - 9.1 - 10

Thanks,

Frederic
---
Frederic Vanneste
Development Engineer Mechanics
CAD Administrator
Security & Monitoring division
BARCO N.V.
Pres. Kennedypark 35
B-8500 Kortrijk
egifford
4-Participant
(To:gkemner)

I saw a web demo if Windchill 10 last week that was put on by our PTC VAR. Didn't get too deep into functionality enhancements or changes (to be covered more in a 2nd and 3rd web demo), mostly the interface changes. Initial impression isthe UI iswhere the biggest and most immediate changes are that will be realized by the average user. We're in a similar situation as you, Frederic, still on 3.4 and in the early planning and testing phases for our migration to Windchill. Due to the timing we're planning to go to Windchill PDMLink 10 andnot implement 9.1. This decision is in part because of the total overhaul of the user interface which would essentially require training our user base to 9.1 and retraining6- 12 monthslaterto the Windchill 10 interface.That andthe fact that I don't want to go to 9.1 to only require another migration (even if much less painful) to get to 10 later. That's not something I want to have to explain to management on top of the expenses required to move off of 3.4in order to get up to date with Pro/E/ "Creo".As far as the migration path, word from our VAR is if you're on 3.4 and going to 10 it's not Windchill itself that might throw some extra steps into the process, but the supported versions of Oracle and theOracle migration process. If you're staying on Oracle you may have to migrate the database twice if you intend to run with the most recent version of Oracle as supported by Windchill 10 (can't skip major releases of Oracle in the migration process - although their answer was a little gray on this). In our case the effect of this is minimal as we are planning to migrate to Microsoft SQL server - in effect I believe we have to go Intralink & old Oracle to newer Oracle (not newest) to SQL anyway.

I've installed WC10 on a set ofvirtual servers to test it andafter a few issues with the install, have it running. First impression is that the UI is nicely cleaned up. Much more efficient and user friendly and just looks up-to-date...even if the colors do strangelyremind me of the '80s TV series "Miami Vice". I think PTC deservessome credit for the UI overhaul. Under the hood I've encountered very little difference from my test install of 9.1 so far, but I may not have dug deep enough yet. As far as product compatability I'm having trouble finding information as well. There is clear info on supported DB, LDAP, browser, javaetc for WC10, but both the Pro/E software matrix and Windchill Matrix that I can find on PTC's site don't mention the supported combinations of WC10 and PTC's CAD applications. If anyone has this and can point out where to find it on PTC's siteit would be appreciated. As far as functional comparison, the Windchill 10 "What's New" doc available on PTC's site has some pretty good information on enhancements / changes but doesn't get into comparing directly to Intralink 3.4 - more of a high level"how we've made it better compared to 9.x"without extensivedetail. Definitely worth reading though if you're on the fence between implementing 9.1 or 10.

If anyone from PTC or other admins that have started toying with WC10 C000 can chime in on this, I know we'd all appreciate it.

Thanks,

Erik

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

In the attached Windchill Future Platform Support document, it says that Windchill 10 will support Wildfire 4 & 5, and Creo 1 & 2.
The other thing to note is that Windchill 10 server does not support Windows 32-bit, only 64-bit.
On the client side, X-22 will only support 64-bit OS's and Windows XP is dropped.
Reading between the lines, Creo 3 will not be supported by XP at all. So that gives us about 1 year to get switched over to Windows 7-64!

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Hi Erik,

thanks for the input...

The first reasons we are even considering a X.0 release like WC 10 is
indeed also:
* the major user interface change
* to avoid another transition (although it would be just an upgrade) to
WC 10 in the (near) future because budgets are tight
* performance/stability of 9.1 seems to be really good, WC10 is
successor of a good code base.

MS SQL server is also preferred by our IT dep though are local partner
says not to have very good experiences with that compared to Oracle...
Good to hear something more about that migration process, might also
provide for some extra investigation about oracle vs ms sql.

I will keep you posted if I receive some other info outside the exploder
list...

Thanks,

Frederic
---
Frederic Vanneste
Development Engineer Mechanics
CAD Administrator
Security & Monitoring division
BARCO N.V.
Pres. Kennedypark 35
B-8500 Kortrijk
egifford
4-Participant

Ben,

Thanks - FPS doc has it.Page 4 does indicate for the client side Vista and 7 32 bit are supported. We've had such good luck with Win7 64 bit so far that unless we find some major issue I can't imagine sticking with a 32 bit OS moving forward. The Creo / WC11 OS requirements may help expedite that move, though. I like how they've dropped the name "Wildfire 6" and started calling Windchill 11 "Windchill X-22" when compared to a prior rev of the doc. Anyway, thanks - I'll blame lack of coffee for not thinking of the FPS doc. 🙂

Erik

"Kemner, Greg (AS)" <-> wrote on 08-02-2011 16:38:35:

> When is Windchill 10 due out? Anyone seen any presentations on it yet?

Try

See the attached PDF

David Haigh

There were some incorrect statements in this post that sent me looking into it. To save others some trouble.

X-22 is not Windchill 10.0,and the document (http://www.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=69784 ) lists 32 bit support for Vista and Windows 7 for x-22.Windchill 10.0 supports XP, Vista and 7 32/64

That 1 year to get swtiched over comment is incorrect.

In Reply to Ben Loosli:

In the attached Windchill Future Platform Support document, it says that Windchill 10 will support Wildfire 4 & 5, and Creo 1 & 2.
The other thing to note is that Windchill 10 server does not support Windows 32-bit, only 64-bit.
On the client side, X-22 will only support 64-bit OS's and Windows XP is dropped.
Reading between the lines, Creo 3 will not be supported by XP at all. So that gives us about 1 year to get switched over to Windows 7-64!

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
ddemay
1-Newbie

Sorta related...I'm no PTC guy, but:

X-10 was windchill 9.0

X-20 is windchill 10

X-22 is a point release

My guess is X-30 would be Windchill 11

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I never said X-22 was Windchill 10, X-22 is the release after Windchill 10.
In an older version of that document, it listed Windchill 11, not X-22.

I did miss the Win Vista-32 and 7-32 as client machines for Windchill 10 and X-22.
My 1 year to switch comment was based on XP being dropped for X-22 and the fact that Vista is no longer being sold. Windows 7 is the future OS for all Wintel machines right now. Given a choice, I would choose Win7 over Vista without thinking hard. I have XP, Vista and 7 machines at home, so I am familiar with all 3. With the price of memory and the size of models, Win7-64 is my future OS of choice. It may be slightly over 1 year, but I would venture that Creo 3 will not be supported on XP.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.

Thanks for the clarifications!

Just some comments on Windchill 10.

We really like the UI improvements (and like some of the functionality improvements even more), but we noticed a few things in the UI that could be problems for the user experience.

First, the addition of all of the right click Action menus means that standard browser right click menus are no longer available. This means that a user can't, for example, right click on a details icon and open the content in a new tab or window. This is very useful when investigating an assembly or comparing multiple parts. Or when you want to travel down a path without losing your starting point. The lack of this ability means that every time that you navigate ahead, you will have to navigate back to your starting point, or you have to open a new tab with your current URL before moving ahead. There needs to be some way to open a new tab or window of either the current URL or the URL being clicked on.

The second issue is the fly out navigation bar. This is a great feature, but the inability to "pin" the bar open, means that navigating within a product's "sub menu" or navigating between several products becomes unnecessarily cumbersome. It adds an additional mouse pick to every step. It would be better to have an option to pin in open and automatically adjust the screen appropriately as shown below (so the nav bar doesn't cover part of the content).

[cid:image001.jpg@01CBDA70.7F945150]<">https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_t2g4FbsElVA/TXE2eOj2KNI/AAAAAAAAABk/Ojt2K5zNf3I/s640/screenshot.11-02-2011%2014.04.39.jpg>
John Frankovich
GSI Group LLC
www.gsiag.com<">http://www.gsiag.com>

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

The inability to open in new Window at any point and avoid navigating back may be a show-stopper - we'll look at this very, very closely before committing to upgrading to 10.0. Thanks for reporting.

Can you open in new window by holding down the Control key?

You can jump there with the CTRL key

Mike/John,

Re "pinning the navigator," we will be considering that, and other
helpful ideas, for 10.1.

the "CTRL right click" will be documented in the quick start guide.

Thanks all.
I just verified that holding down control while right clicking WILL still allow you to open a new tab or window. One crisis averted...

Now if we can just pin the navigator open...in 10.0 M010 😉

John Frankovich
GSI Group LLC
www.gsiag.com<">http://www.gsiag.com>

tbusch
1-Newbie

Just a quick tip, the middle mouse-click will also open in new tab by default in most browsers.

-Thomas R. Busch
Sr. Software Developer
Stryker Instruments
(269) 323-7700 x4014
tom.busch@stryker.com<">mailto:tom.busch@stryker.com>

John/Mike - another way to get to the browser's menu is to double click
the right mouse button.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Something new to teach the fingers on the right side of one's hand...

Top Tags