cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS12 showing different versions of components in different scenarios!

gafoorgk
11-Garnet

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS12 showing different versions of components in different scenarios!

We're using Windchill 11.0 M030. Strange thing noticed after testing CPS12 is;

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS12 OOTB installation and Windchill updated from 11.0 M030 CPS10 to CPS12 are showing different versions of components

Screenshots are attached here. Any idea why? Will this have any issue in future if production is upgraded to CPS12? A PTC case is also opened to see if it is something we missed during CPS12 update.

23 REPLIES 23
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:gafoorgk)

It looks like your upgraded system does not have ESI Services installed...

gafoorgk
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

ESI Service is not a main component in our case. But check pdmlink. I'm a bit concerned to go ahead with updating production until I get a definite answer on this.
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The 'different' version of PDMLink is what caught my eye, too.

Did PTC forget to update the information data in the file?

Did you install CPS11 on the upgrade system before doing CPS12?

Since the latest download is 11.0m030-CPS11, maybe there is something they changed in the full code set but did not change in the CPS subset.

I have CPS08 installed and for PDMlink it shows F000 with no upgrades or patches.

We installed CPS12 on top of CPS10.

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS10 was installed ootb. PDMLink datecode was F000 then. When the promised SW2018 support was moved to next CPS, we downloaded and installed latest CPS12. We didn't notice the difference since we didn't know there was an update for pdmlink.

Recently when we installed Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS12 ootb, we noticed difference in datecode as mentioned in my post.

In your case PDMLink F000 is valid since you have CPS08. The patch shown in the screenshot I sent, is only valid for those who installed CPS12 to address a critical issue.

PTC didn't comment anything still.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

I have CPS11 installed and for PDMLink it shows F000 with no upgrades or patches as well.

I think you're probably on to something with what version of the software was used for the initial installation.

gafoorgk
11-Garnet

Did you update to CPS11 from an earlier CPS? If so, you're seeing the same issue as I am.

If you installed CPS11 ootb, you should see M030 CPS11 as datecode for PDMLink. I already tested it in our environment.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@gafoorgk wrote:

Did you update to CPS11 from an earlier CPS?

Yes, CPS04.

I'll throw CPS12 on one of my test systems today and see what happens.  (Also currently at CPS11.)

gafoorgk
11-Garnet

Yes, try. Install CPS11 or 12 fresh in a test system. Do not update an existing 11 (already updated from 04).

Actually there is a downloadable file for PDMLink with datecode M030 CPS11. This file is not asked when updating to CPS11 or CPS12 from an earlier version. But this file is asked by PSI when Windchill is installed fresh through PSIs coming in CPS11 or CPS12 bundle.
gafoorgk
11-Garnet

Yes, try. Install CPS11 or 12 fresh in a test system. Do not update an existing 11 (already updated from 04).

Actually there is a downloadable file for PDMLink with datecode M030 CPS11. This file is not asked when updating to CPS11 or CPS12 from an earlier version. But this file is asked by PSI when Windchill is installed fresh through PSIs coming in CPS11 or CPS12 bundle.
TomU
23-Emerald IV

CPS11 is a bit of a mess.  PTC really should have incremented the build number up (M031, M040, or something else.)  Critical patch set CPS11 cannot be installed without also downloading additional CDs (WDS, Info*Engine, JDK, Services, etc.)  This goes directly against how a CPS is supposed to work.  The articles in the knowledge base and the installation guides all say that a CPS is entirely self-contained and does not require any other downloads.  For CPS11 that is definitely not the case.  (I already went round and round with PTC on this.)

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Just remember that it is PTC and never trust what they say they will do!

They write the rules on what they will include in patches.

My problem with CPS' being self contained is I do not have internet access for my production system and I have to break up the CPS download into DVD-sized chunks, burn DVDs, then load them onto the production system. No wonder I do not normally install them! Plus with the breaking for CreoView when I did the first CPS (and PTC has no solution for my system) I will avoid CPS patches as much as possible. I had to do this one for the change to HTML code from Java for file vaults.This should not have been done at a CPS, either, as it changed functionality!

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite

Will they be documenting the deficiencies there?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Invisigoth)

Nope.  The official answer was, "...once you have those CPS11 module installed, future CPS update will not ask for any additional CD’s during the staging area unless there are some other major module rebuilt."  (emphasis mine)

Again, this directly contradicts the article on how critical patch sets are supposed to work and the installation guides.

CS149102.png

By the way, CPS12 has this same problem.  See https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS292433

gafoorgk
11-Garnet

Well, most of the articles PTC got are root cause analysis result in various environments and in older versions. Unfortunately, they also update these articles application versions to include all latest versions without confirming if the issue persist or it is a variant of same issue. Result: Many articles are not valid for latest versions of PTC products.

However, I'm still waiting for PTC answer on this particular issue. When WC11.0 M030 CPS12 is installed in a new system using PSI came bundled with CPS12, PSI asks for installer for PDMLink with datecode M030 CPS12.

But when WC11.0 M030 CPS12 is installed as an update over an earlier version (M030 CPS10 or earlier), PSI doesn't ask for installer for PDMLink with datecode M030 CPS12. Apparently the changes in PDMLink with datecode M030 CPS12 is not applied in this case.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

From the testing I've done so far it would appear that PDMLink is never updated.  Whatever version was originally installed is what it remains regardless of which CPS is later installed.

The M030-CPS11 "release" is a full recut to add support for Windows Server 2016.  Apparently this newer version of PDMLink is not required by the CPS11 or CPS12 critical patch sets.

Please let us know what tech support has to say. 

gafoorgk
11-Garnet

@TomU wrote:

From the testing I've done so far it would appear that PDMLink is never updated.  Whatever version was originally installed is what it remains regardless of which CPS is later installed.

Right, that's what I observed.

Did you try installing Windchill using PSI coming bundled with CPS11 or CPS12? Both installs PDMLink with datecode M030 CPS11. It's odd from any angle to keep different versions of PDMLink based on the installation path chosen.

@TomU wrote:

Please let us know what tech support has to say. 

Sure, I'll inform once tech support responds, which strangely didn't happen still.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Clean install of 11.0 M030-CPS11

Windchill 11.0 M030-CPS11 Install.PNG

Same 11.0 M030-CPS11 system after updating to CPS12

Windchill 11.0 M030-CPS12 Update.PNG

Clean install of 11.0 M030-CPS11 using the CPS12 installer

Windchill 11.0 M030-CPS12 Install.PNG

I'm getting ready right now to apply CPS12 to another system that was originally installed using F000 and has since been updated to CPS11.  Here's the before picture:

Windchill 11.0 M030 Before CPS12 Update.PNG

TomU
23-Emerald IV

No change.  PDMLink stayed at F000.

Windchill 11.0 M030 After CPS12 Update and Patch.PNG

gafoorgk
11-Garnet

Finally I got response from PTC. They confirmed that it's completely Okay to go ahead with this anomaly though there are lot not answered by them.

Update:

The first comment from PTC seems to be without understanding actual anomaly when different paths are followed for installation.

Today a senior technician did take a remote session and checked. Now they are convinced of this bug in PSI and confirmed that an SPR will be created for this issue.

As for this issue, they still confirm it's OK to go ahead with F000 even on environment with CPS12. PDMLink M030 CPS11 only got changes to support Windows 2016. In short, our environment is just fine with CPS12 and PDMLink F000, but need to stick with Windows 2012 R2 as max OS version.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

As for this issue, they still confirm it's OK to go ahead with F000 even on environment with CPS12. PDMLink M030 CPS11 only got changes to support Windows 2016. 

That reinforces my contention that support for the new operating system shouldn't have happened inside the CPS if it required recutting CDs that were not also included as part of the CPS.  Instead it should have been an entirely new maintenance release (M031, M040, etc.)

gafoorgk
11-Garnet

Very well, I got another reply from PTC after a very long time saying this is intended. Below is the exact words from one of the senior TSE

11.0 M030 -CPS10 all CD’s were recut to update install Anywhere version to support platform -win 2016.

So, WSP supported modules like PDML got recut in CPS10 but there is no change in content from base version till CPS-12 .

So cairo-CPS-12, WSP does not have any change for PDML.

So while updating to 11.0 M030 -CPS-12, the version of PDML will not get updated .

This is intended behaviour.

Though that doesn't make any sense at all from a customer perspective, I requested to close the ticket since it was regardless by now. Our developers didn't report any issues as well as we decided to stick with Win2012R2 for now.

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite

FWIW, I installed 11.0 M030 CPS-13 using all newly downloaded CDs, and I kicked off the installer from the Install directory of the CPS CD.  Here is what the version looks like now:
cps13install.JPG

Still looks odd to me.  As far as the whole re-cutting CDS vs. a new CPS, I agree.  This is why I put in this Windchill idea, at least to share the pain of these decisions by PTC.

Top Tags