cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Windchill 11.2 Change Object Templates and required values

zsternal-2
9-Granite

Windchill 11.2 Change Object Templates and required values

Hello,

I've spent some time working with a Windchill 11.2 instance and I've found the usage of Change Object Templates introduces a bit of a regression, at least for our use case. In previous versions of Windchill (11.0 and lower) the use of Change Object Templates was optional. In these prior versions there is a preference:

Change Management -> Default Change Task Name

Setting this preference allows you to create change notices with a default change task which generally saves user clicks.

In Windchill 11.2 the system forces us to use Change Object Templates and removes this preference. This can cause a bit of a problem especially for those of us who have our change objects configured with mandatory attributes. When you create a new template this is essentially just an instance of your change object that lives in the Site or Org level. If you have additional mandatory attributes configured for your change object you cannot create a template without filling all mandatory attributes. This means that if you would like to create a change notice with a default embedded change task then you must also fill in dummy values for all attributes. We use mandatory attributes to force users to *think* about what they are doing. If these mandatory attributes are automatically filled in then chances are quite high that users will simply forget to check to ensure that the values make sense. 

Is there any way to create a template and leave these mandatory attributes blank? My best guess is that we must first disable the mandatory attributes, create the template, then enable the mandatory attributes again but this is quite inconvenient.

Thank you,

Zach

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is already an idea to disable the required attributes on templates. 

Please vote

Need ability to Create Windchill Templates with the Required Attributes not set to a default value 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

There is already an idea to disable the required attributes on templates. 

Please vote

Need ability to Create Windchill Templates with the Required Attributes not set to a default value 

Thanks! Voted. In the meantime I disabled the required constraints, created my templates, and enabled the constraints again.

Top Tags