cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Windchill 11 Performance: IE vs Chrome?

LawrenceS
18-Opal

Windchill 11 Performance: IE vs Chrome?

Since upgrading to WC11 we have noticed that performance is VERY slow and sluggish using IE11 however is very snappy using the latest Chrome.  We are primarily using Windows7.  The difference is very significant:

• IE often takes around 30-60 seconds to load some pages
  • Chrome loads the same pages in just a few seconds 

Has anyone else noticed this?  Do you know of a IE or WC setting that could improve the performance of WC in IE? 

I know that I/we could switch to Chrome however would rather not because Chrome is missing a very useful field selection feature that IE has.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"
5 REPLIES 5

There's another problem with Chrome also (which is my primary browser).  Sometimes you can't attach files and have to switch to IE, Edge, or Firefox.

Have you looked at Firefox as a browser?  

James

Windchill 11.0 M030 CPS08

Windows 10

Firefox is currently not an option by our IT dept.  It still seems though that there is likely a setting that could be the cause of the browser performance being so dramatically effected.

Has anyone notice IE being slow for IE and if there is a way to fix it?

Just start using another browser. What is the reason that you are still using Internet Explorer which is death and not pushed forward anymore? Why has Microsoft developed a new browser? 

Even the new browser edge will most likely get a complete redesign. Only firefox and chromium (and safari) have survived the browser war.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/4/18125238/microsoft-chrome-browser-windows-10-edge-chromium

Even if our IT agreed to support firefox, it doesn't look like it is supported in Creo as an embedded browser anymore:

image.png

The reason I stay with IE for WC, even though I use Chrome for most other things?  Because text and field selection in Chrome is terrible in comparison to IE.  In IE all you have to do is press CTRL+LMB to select an entire field.  Although I don't care about this at home or using most other websites, much of what I do in PDMLink is selecting and then either dragging or copying and pasting. 

If I could select fields nicely in Chrome (triple click or click and drag is not nice nor fast, nor easy on the wrists), then I wouldn't mind switching to Chrome.  But as far as I can tell Chrome neither has this feature nor has the capability to turn it on.

That being said I helped 2 users to switch their Creo Embedded browser from IE to Chrome and one of them works great and the other is terribly unstable and freezes and crashes Creo.  It seems PTC hasn't smoothed out these corners quite yet with Chrome for Creo.

Top Tags