cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 11 Upgrade in place

tstacy
1-Newbie

Windchill 11 Upgrade in place

Hi,

We are beginning our investigation into upgrading from Windchill 10.2 M030 to Windchill 11 on the same hardware.  I've been reading the installation and upgrade guides (5 or 6 of them) and I'm still a little confused.  The upgrade steps reference the installation guide for setting up the "target" system.  The target system in our case are the same servers as the source system.  The confusing part (to me at least) is this, do I need a new Oracle user for the installation? The upgrade guide talks about exporting the data from the source database and importing into the target database before running the Upgrade Manager tool. Do I need to do this or just point Windchill 11 to the original database user and run Upgrade Manager?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

do I need a new Oracle user for the installation

You need a new Oracle user for the installation to complete. To setup the target system, what you have to do is install a new Windchill 11 with installation inputs matching your 10.2. In your case, once the upgrademanager runs successfully, you can get rid of this user.

Do I need to do this or just point Windchill 11 to the original database user and run Upgrade Manager?

After the installation and pre-upgrade steps are complete, you can just point the upgrade manager to Windchill 10.2 database. You don't have to follow the import/export of database since you are planning to use the 10.2 db iteself.

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

do I need a new Oracle user for the installation

You need a new Oracle user for the installation to complete. To setup the target system, what you have to do is install a new Windchill 11 with installation inputs matching your 10.2. In your case, once the upgrademanager runs successfully, you can get rid of this user.

Do I need to do this or just point Windchill 11 to the original database user and run Upgrade Manager?

After the installation and pre-upgrade steps are complete, you can just point the upgrade manager to Windchill 10.2 database. You don't have to follow the import/export of database since you are planning to use the 10.2 db iteself.

Thank you

Binesh Kumar

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:tstacy)

Yes, many steps are very different when upgrading to new hardware vs. In-place on the same hardware.  The guides are hopelessly confusing on this, mixing the two approaches everywhere.  Best if you possibly can afford it is to minimize risk by to upgrading to new hardware, then re-purpose the previous production system to be the backup.  Need to create a very detailed step by step procedure regardless.  I commonly use a two-column table for the procedure, showing exactly on what host each step is to be performed.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:tstacy)

THERESA STACY wrote:

Hi,

We are beginning our investigation into upgrading from Windchill 10.2 M030 to Windchill 11 on the same hardware.  I've been reading the installation and upgrade guides (5 or 6 of them) and I'm still a little confused.  The upgrade steps reference the installation guide for setting up the "target" system.  The target system in our case are the same servers as the source system.  The confusing part (to me at least) is this, do I need a new Oracle user for the installation? The upgrade guide talks about exporting the data from the source database and importing into the target database before running the Upgrade Manager tool. Do I need to do this or just point Windchill 11 to the original database user and run Upgrade Manager?

As you have found out the upgrade guides are very lacking in real life examples. Windchill 11.0 needs an Oracle setup for installation. In your case (and mine) you install Windchill 11 on a "throw away" temporary Oracle setup. After the install when running the UpgradeManager is when you point Windchill to the real Oracle (your old 10.2 M030 setup) and the UpgradeManager will update this database and also change the needed windchill properties to point to the real Oracle setup.

In my case when I install the new Windchill (11.0 in this case) I use the following settings for the tmp Oracle database:

• Global Database Name (SID) or Service Name: windtmp
  • "SYSTEM" Account Password: <manager password>
  • Oracle User Name for Windchill Installation: wc_tmp
  • Oracle User Password for Windchill Installation: <some password>
  • Default Table space Name: USERS
  • Temporary Tablespace Name: TEMP

After you have finished installing, running the UpgradeManager, and successfully firing up Windchill 11 you can then remove the "throw away" Oracle database by running dbca (as the oracle user if you are on Unix).

Top Tags