cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 12.0.1.0 without WindchillDS

DanielScheidegg
11-Garnet

Windchill 12.0.1.0 without WindchillDS

Hi all

Has anyone already installed Windchill 12.0.1.0 with MS ActiveDirectory only, i.e. without WindchillDS, and then upgraded from 11.1?
Is there any experience you can share?

Thanks

Best Regards

Daniel

46 REPLIES 46
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BjoernRueegg)

@MarkLobo stated back in January that new KB articles would be coming out to fully explain this process.  Unless I missed them, I don't think anything new has been released yet...

MarkLobo
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

Tom - We are still in the process of completing the  internal review of the PTC Technical Support knowledgebase article on 'WindchillDS Removal and Migration'. I expect the article to be made customer facing this week. Please stay tuned.

We are also planning a dedicated follow-up webcast for Windchill TC regarding the retirement of WindchillDS with @drost  (Dan Rost - Product Manager for Windchill Architecture and Administration). We will work with Lewis (Lawrence) to schedule that hopefully this month.

Thanks,

Mark

Folks,

Just to confirm we are targeting March the 23rd at 11:00 EST for the Windchill DS Retirement webcast, details confirmed after today's monthly Windchill TC meeting.

Is the call on March 23rd or 25th?

The Partner TechCast is on 25th March 2021 @ 10 AM EST

Dear Arpit

Please can you post the link for registration?

thx

Daniel

Folks,

The Windchill DS Retirement webcast is currently scheduled for the 1st of April at 10:00 CDT, this link should take you the TC "event" and allow you to add it to your calendar.

https://ptcusergroups.ptcuser.org/events/5753089614747272674

Is this a joke since its on April 1st?

If this is a joke, then the joke is on me! I definitely have some accepts to the meeting from PTC Product Managers, so I am pretty confident it is genuine.

@LewisLawrence is this only available to the TC?

Brian,

Yes this meeting is being organised through the Technical Committee, if you are a member the link should work:

https://ptcusergroups.ptcuser.org/events/5753089614747272674

At the top of the page there is an Add To Calendar option which should handle any time zone differences properly.

Anyone else interested in joining the Windchill Solutions Technical Commitee can request membership from PTCUser.org. PTC/USER Community

vbabu-3
5-Regular Member
(To:AndyHermanson)

Hello All,

We are the PTC partners.

As of now the Upgrade to Windchill 12.0.1.0 is not possible without having Windchill DS in place.

Very recently I have step upgrade Windchill 10 > 11 > 12.0.1.0, with AD and all other complex configuration like Reverse proxy with SSL

FYI - All the Roles and Organisations are safely migrated to the Database and only the Non AD users are in DS after the Upgrade completion.

Scenarios possible:

1) Upgrade to Windchill 12.0.1.0 and pointing the Standalone DS to a staging server and keep it up (Windchill DS will be on a remote machine)

2) Upgrade to Windchill 12.0.1.0 and have DS pointing to the same target server.

Both work fine. Cheers!

For any kind of Upgrade projects planned, you could kindly contact us.

Delivery Leads:

Ajay pallajay.pall@bwdesigngroup.com 

Chinmaychinmayramesh.gadre@bwdesigngroup.com 

Warm regards,

Venkatvenkatadurgababu.kanaparthi@bwdesigngroup.com

vbabu-3_0-1621919171635.png

vbabu-3_1-1621919171638.png

Hi Lewis,

please can you check:

DanielScheidegg_0-1616480927370.png

thanks

Hi all.

PTC has published two new articles on the topic.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS337554 - Knowledge HUB - WindchillDS Removal & Migration to other Directory Servers

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS335696FAQs: Windchill Directory Server (WindchillDS) removal starting Windchill 12.0.1.0

@MarkLobo Thank you for taking this issue seriously at PTC. I am sure that these articles will bring us further.

Best Regards

Daniel

I came across this entry in Windchill Help

https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r11.2.0.0/en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center/WCInstall_PrepareEnterpriseLDAPActiveDirectory.html

If you are binding to a Read Only LDAP repository, the user you choose must have the "uid=Administrator" attribute

the domain account I tried using and failed, does not have this attribute specified, so I will have this added and try again with a different 12.0.1.0 build

why do i need another LDAP if "all users and groups" are in WC database, configuration files in json file and per CS122716 i can authenticate via AD

• Primer
  1. An AD JNDI adapter is read-only
  2. The JNDI adapter pointing at the AD is superfluous
  3. The only component on the Application Server that should be pointing at the AD is Apache, and that is for authentication purposes

Can i configure windchill 12 with IIS or Apache for authentication with AD only.

This part I don't understand. Why after upgrade to 12 and authenticating via IIS to AD i have to have WDS still running. When i tried to stop WDS , windchill 12 will not start.

because wcadmin still pointing to WindchillDS.

this one was helpful for me: 

Article - CS341008 - Since Windchill 12.0.1, how to migrate from WindchillDS to Active Directory? (ptc.com)

but be sure, that you have backedup Windchill and DB

Top Tags