cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windchill 9 ACLs for Modify

Highlighted
Peridot

We are hoping to take advantage of the new Windchill 9 ACL's when we upgrade from 8. Documentation on this is hard to read and doesn'ttell you what user can and cannot do when they are applied in various ways. I'm working on a spreadsheet that lists every ACL and every user menu pick and what actually results, and testing each combination thoroughly.

General finding: The menu picks that users have do not relate directly to the ACLs for the most part. Examples:

Good:Delete ACL relates toDelete menu pick.

Not too bad: Revise ACL relates toNew Revision menu pick.

Confusing: Create by Move, Change Context and Change Domain ACLs all relate the single Move menu pick.

Confusing: Modify ACLrelates to Check out, Check out and Edit, Edit Structure, Edit Common Attributes, Rename menu picks. Modify Identity ACL relates to the Rename and Edit Common Attributes menu picks, but gives more once you're inside them.

More info that we're studying:

For a WTPart at a given state, the Modify ACL at that state gives the user both "Rename" and "Edit Common Attributes" menu picks. Within Rename, the user can change the Name but not the Number. If the user has Modify Identity instead (but not Modify), the user can change both the Number and the Name. But- Both aresubjectto the state at which Iterations in previous Versions exist. In general, you need to apply Modify Identity at multiple / all states, but only to a few select users; this is a great tool but can be dangerous.

Still more:

The system happily lets you assign Modify Content to a WTPart although there is no content. Not a big problem, just have to understand.

Still more

Move has new ACLs which are going to be useful, but they have to be understood and applied carefully. Seems to us that they are not named intuitively. There are 3 - two relate to moving away from where an object exists (I think) and one relates to where it's being moved to. Hard to tell which applies where though.

It seems like an incredible waste of time to have to do this but the documentation is just not adequate. I'd like to compare notes with anyone who has worked thru this or plans to.

Please see the spreadsheet in its current form. I'll post a summary.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

hi,

since WTPart *is* a ContentHolder (it's just that the GUI doesn't expose
that) it makes perfectly sense to be able to assign modify contents
rights ...

cheers, martin

Mike Lockwood wrote:
>
> We are hoping to take advantage of the new Windchill 9 ACL's when we
> upgrade from 8. Documentation on this is hard to read and