cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill - Continuous Integration Box for Implementation/Customization

dtkach1
1-Newbie

Windchill - Continuous Integration Box for Implementation/Customization

Please share if somebody is using Continuous Integration box for roll out Windchill custom/implementation changes for different Solutions (PDMLink, ProjectLink, Arbortext, Fast Index Search).

Will be very interesting to hear advices for :

- Implementation of Continuous Integration box - build stage

- Implementation of Continuous Integration box -deploy stage

- Implementation of Continuous Integration box -notification stage

- Implementation of Continuous Integration box -commit stage (to SVN or CVS Repositories)

Details:

Build-tool integration, Release Labeling, Project dependencies,

AndContinuous Integration boxes such as:

- using LuntBuild (ant and maven build scripts)

- using Continuum (Apache)

- using Cruise Control

D

4 REPLIES 4

weatherguru, thanks for answer

What will be the procedure to set windchill classpaths for Cruise control and make automatic deployment of changesto Test Server? Can you advcies something from expertise

D

Thanks for sharing. So basically what ant tasks did you specify for Build Targets, Deploy and Test goals? Did you use somehow windchill ant scripts?

Depends from customization/development (for instance Workflow expression, enum customization, search indexes)Ant tasks for deploy stage, release stage, test, build etc can bediffirent, may be you remember some more detal documentation which cover some aspects of windchill and cruise control integration?

Thanks for info. Guess I got some ideasfor setting up Continious Integration box for Windchill changes rollout. Let me think if Ican ask you some more specific questions.

Hi Dmitry,
Continuous Integration is a dream process for any developer. I feel it is more realistic in an R&D(software development) environment where the data is always constant than in a business(customization) deployment environment.
Mainly there are two things one has to consider for automatic build/deploy setup.
  • Custom code like java, jsp, xml, rbinfo files etc.
  • Business data like workflows, lifecycles, OIRs, ACLs, preferences etc

Building custom code and deploying automatically is relatively easy process and there are many 3rd party software tools available(ant, maven, gant). For building business data and deploying it on other machines , one has to use PTC tools and is a difficult process to integrate with the build tools. You can look at bin/tools.xml file to get some ideas on how to use PTC tools from ant.

I would start with ant files to get these two steps done from command line first. Once I can consistently build and deploy using these tools , I would think about continuous integration. Wish you luck with your integration process and please do let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Prathap

In Reply to:
Please share if somebody is using Continuous Integration box for roll out Windchill custom/implementation changes for different Solutions (PDMLink, ProjectLink, Arbortext, Fast Index Search).

Will be very interesting to hear advices for :

- Implementation of Continuous Integration box - build stage

- Implementation of Continuous Integration box -deploy stage

- Implementation of Continuous Integration box -notification stage

- Implementation of Continuous Integration box -commit stage (to SVN or CVS Repositories)

Details:

Build-tool integration, Release Labeling, Project dependencies,

AndContinuous Integration boxes such as:

- using LuntBuild (ant and maven build scripts)

- using Continuum (Apache)

- using Cruise Control

D

Top Tags