cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Windchill FMEA - importing failure modes

hsilva-2
1-Newbie

Windchill FMEA - importing failure modes

Hello all,

In my company we receive monthly the field data for our components with the possible failure modes, also we have this datas for the past 5 years. It is thousands of lines. How can I import and integrate this spreadsheet to the FMEA modes library?

If you have some question to better understand, let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

6 REPLIES 6

You probably want to make use of FRACAS module to capture field data. Once the data is in your FRACAS module, you can analyze field data for Failure Modes. I recommend capturing failure modes within the FRACAS module based on field failure descriptions. Many times the FRACAS module is the only thing you need if the goal is just to identify failure modes from field data. If you are required to use the FMECA module, then you still make use of the FRACAS module to conduct failure mode analysis then use that information for the FMECA.

Thanks for your help Gerardo. It was very helpfull.

I am not familiar with FRACAS yet, but is this possible to import all the data?

What kind of extension I can input?

Yes, you should not have a problem uploading thousands of records into the FRACAS Module. We normally upload field data in excel format but you can use different formats as stated by Michel Jasic.

Hello,

The data can be imported to FMEA or FRACAS tables by using the Import Wizard (in Tools menu). The following formats are widely acceptable: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, XML files and text files.

There are two possibilities: Custom Import or by loading an existing template.

Once one of these options is selected, you'll need to select Product Module (FMEA), file to import, table type (e.g. FMEA Tree Items or FMEA Worksheet or any other needed). The next step is to select the fields from your file that will be imported and to map them to the fields in the application.

If need to updated the existing fields/records, it becomes a little bit more complex because in that case you'll need also the Identifier field (exported from the application to a dump file before editing) and assign only the fields you need to modify.

Thanks for your attencion Michael.

My aim with this import is to create a database inside the PTC Quality Solution or create a bigger database which PTC could have access. We already have something like this, but it is hard-working insert one-by-one on PTC. At the end, when I use the import wizard for the part list PTC will be able to link the failure mode, failure rate and etc with the part list imported.

It is more like importing a library than importing parts.

I don't know if I can use this Import Wizard for a library.

Thanks.

The best thing would be to create a DEV environment if you don't have it and test the import.

As I mentioned, you can select to which tables import the data. This means you can import into several tables (not at once, by using the wizard several times, each time for the different table) and, as Gerardo mentioned, the wizard can accept as many records as you have in your import file(s).

Top Tags