cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill Mobile app for IPad

dbalagansky
1-Newbie

Windchill Mobile app for IPad

PTC announced Windchill Mobile application for IPad and yesterday it appeared in AppStore.

It is very welcoming app for me.

But when I tries to connect to my server app tells that this server is not configured to work with mobile app.

Does anybody know what additional configuration should I implement on server side? And what ports mobile app use? My server uses default 80 port for web access to windchill.

PS This is on Windchill 10.0 M030.

23 REPLIES 23

Hi!

To configure Windchill server with i-Pad you need to set the preference

"Enable System for Use With Windchill Mobile" from Site>Utilities with the value as "YES"

Note : This preference controls whether mobile devices can connect to and obtain data from this server via Windchill Mobile. A Windchill Mobile license is required for use of this capability.

You need to check with your Site administrator to enable this preference.

~Harshal

Additionally, a new version of the Windchill Mobile that won't require connection to a server should become available in the Apple store soon. It is awaiting Apple's approval 🙂

Hi Harshal,

Can you tell me were exactly (in which groupe) this properti is?

I can't found it on site props. Or I do need additional windchill module installed? I use PDMLink+ProjectLink solution.

And one more - only 80 port will be enougth (on proxy from internal lan to the internet)?

Thanks to all!

Hi,

You need to access Windchill server URL as Site administrator.

Then Go to Site>Utilities>Windchill Mobile Application>Right click to edit

Thanks

~Harshal

Harshal, thanks for helping.

But I don't have Windchill Mobile Application link under Site-Utilites. (Not under System Administration, Business Administration or Auditing Administration).

I use M030 PDM+PJL, and I'm asking - do I need any additional module to be installed on my windchill instance?

My Bad!

Go to Site>Utilities>Preference Management>Windchill Mobile Application>Right click to edit

It should not be vertical specific.

~Harshal

ngiacom
14-Alexandrite
(To:Harshal)

I have Windchill 10.0 M030 but I don't have Windchill Mobile Application in Preference Management.

Do I have to install anything server side?

Thanks

ngiacom
14-Alexandrite
(To:ngiacom)

I found <windchillHome>\loadFiles\mobile\mobilePreferences.xml

Loaded with:

windchill wt.load.LoadFromFile -d ...

Preferences was born!!

The small help module included with the app describes procedures for configuration and for connecting to Windchill from your mobile device. If you don't find the information you need in these instructions, please let me know!

Jane

Version 1.0.1 is now available from the Apple Store. With this version you do not need to connect to a server. Uninstall the current version and install the new one.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/windchill-mobile/id501201401?ls=1&mt=8

egifford
4-Participant
(To:dbalagansky)

Dmitry,

Did you ever get this to work? I'm getting the same error you are when trying to connect to our Windchill PDMLink 10.0 M030 server. I don't even see the "Windchill Mobile Application" option under the Preference Managment menu when connected as the site admin.

Jane - I don't see much on the help supplied with the iPad app. It's just a simple 3 page doc outlining how to use it, nothing about configuration. Adding a connection configuration seems pretty basic, but as with Dmitry, it appears to be a server side issue.

Michael - the updated app includes a demo setup with local data to simulate what the app can do. But what I'm trying to do is connect to our server.

Harshal - in your initial reply you state that a license for Windchill Mobile is required. Is it required to even get the option under the site preferences? Is there something that needs to be installed as an option for Windchill 10 M030 to get this working?

Thanks,

Erik Gifford

ngiacom
14-Alexandrite

windchill wt.load.LoadFromFile -d <windchillHome>\loadFiles\mobile\mobilePreferences.xml creates the site preference "Mobile Application / Enable System for Use With Mobile App". Enable it!

With this 2 steps it works.

Probably upgrade to Windchill M030 didn't load this xml.

egifford
4-Participant

Nicola,

That fixed it. Thanks!

Erik

egifford
4-Participant

For anyone else reading through this posting, be aware that actually enabling and using this capability in Windchill appears to require specific licensing. Although it can be turned on and it works, reading the full line next to the switch to enable it indicates you have to have specific Mobile App licensing from PTC to be legal. So, as with regular Windchill client licenses there isn't an actual license service issuing a right-to-run, but you technically better have enough to cover your use case. I wonder if this (heavy / light user connections, mobile app connections) is being monitored and reported by PTC's "Quality Agent" that gets installed with Windhill now.

wcmobile_lic.GIF

I was able to get configure and see the Mobile app option on Windchill preference manager. However, when I configure the mobile app, it time out and won't display the information

egifford
4-Participant
(To:hdamle)

So you've enabled the system for use with the mobile app, are able to configure the app for your server, login & connect? What are you seeing when you connect via the App? When you say "time out" do you mean some sort of immediate disconnect? There is a setting under the Mobile Applications preferences where you enabled it but the default setting is 60 minutes & that just forces you to re-enter your password after the set time, it doesn't boot your out of the app or leave you in but functionless. What are the symptomes you're seeing?

wcapp_timeout.JPG

Never mind, it was network issue, I am able to load the app and populate information.

ngiacom
14-Alexandrite

Is impossible to view 2d representation: Dxf format of Creo Elements / Direct Modeling drawing. The page display a message like: "3D format is not viewable". No problem with 3D representation (pvs format) of assembly or parts.

egifford
4-Participant

Seems to work pretty well, but I'm using it connected to a Windchill test server with limited data to explore. The manipulation of a model with the tablet touch interaction is very intuitive, but that's the nature of apps like this (be it from Autodesk, PTC or someone else). It does seem slow to respond when turning the iPad from portrait to landscape orientation and that process is even chunkier on my iPhone. Now the million dollar question is how much does PTC plan on charging for connection licenses for the mobile app?

Hi

Its great to see everyone’s interest in Windchill Mobile. I just wanted to follow-up on Erik’s point about licensing. PTC will be charging for Windchill Mobile and it will be a server-based license. This type of license makes it easy for anyone to tryout the App for free with the included demo dataset, but you shouldn’t connect to a server before buying licenses. And Erik is correct that Mobile usage is being monitored and reported by the PTC Quality Agent.

The App actually got posted to iTunes a little early, so we are still in the process of launching Windchill 10.1. Look for official announcements in the next few weeks.

Hi all

I found really nice video:

PTC video: Windchill Mobile

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
twindchill
5-Regular Member

Custom Task form templates links are not working in IPAD.

ADAMBESAW
4-Participant
(To:twindchill)

What are the minimum hardware requirements for an Ipad to use Creo View Mobile app?  

Top Tags