cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill PDM link in the cloud

bcooper
1-Newbie

Windchill PDM link in the cloud

Does anyone have experiance running Windchill on the cloud. We currently have a virtual server we share with our sister company but soon we have to decide wheter to buy our own server or contract out the Windchill.

6 REPLIES 6
mkohn
3-Visitor
(To:bcooper)

Hi Buck,

I am new to Windchill administration and I just transferred into the administration side. Before hand I was in the data center and infrastructure side. When I was there, we used Amazon Web Services to host the dev,QA and prod systems. We were made by the security department to move it on prem because they did not have the expertise to run security in the cloud. Our systems interface with internal systems now and security can work with that. Amazon was costing about $4K a month. You can probably get the price down by using reserved instances and stuff.

Good Luck,

Mitch

bcooper
1-Newbie
(To:mkohn)

Thanks Mitch.

I'm getting quotes from a couple of different sources and will check references before we make a decision.

wahmed
3-Visitor
(To:mkohn)

hi Mitch,

I'm working on the same set of requirements. Could you please help with some documentation on how you moved Windchill from on premise to AWS cloud. Also, how did you install Windchill on AWS?

Thanks,

Wasim

Jason27
12-Amethyst
(To:bcooper)

If only use the OOTB functions of the Windchill PDMLink system. it is simliler whether the Windchill PDMLink on the cloud or the Windchill PDMLink on own server. the OOTB Windchill PDMLink on the cloud will save a lot of cost on system maintenance.

if have to exchange data with other company,  most of time need to add some additional attributes to the PDMLink, and do some customization. the Windchill PDMLink on own server is a better choice.

Sweiler
13-Aquamarine
(To:Jason27)

There is also the PTC PLM Cloud option. That has a minimum user number for it though. So if you are a small company it may not be a viable option.

https://www.ptc.com/en/plm-cloud

I ran a Windchill instance on AWS. I contracted out to a VAR (Tristar) to perform the actual installation. I ran it for about two years before leaving the company. The big issue I remember having was with connecting to additional publishing instances.

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com
Top Tags