cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill Packages - CAD Documents

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Windchill Packages - CAD Documents

We've been exploring ways of manipulating some CAD Data.  Looking at bringing into a rehosted non-production Windchill system, doing the manipulation, then transfering to production - assuming that we can use Packages for the transfer.

Experimented quite a bit with this and did not have any success with CAD data.  Created attached file to document on a tech support case.  Today tech support came back with "I looked into the case details found that you are not able to create package with CAD document."

Can't believe this - can it be true that you cannot include CAD data in a Package?  Looking to talk w/anyone who is using / has used Windchill Packages with CAD data.  Would welcome any input from PTC.

thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeLockwood)

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:TomU)

Tried with the preference set to both Yes (default) and No and it still publishes regardless.  For a .SLDPRT, publishing results in: _small.jpg, .pvt, .jpg, .pvz files

So... More info. Relates to Zipping the Delivery.

The Help clearly says that if you select

a) Export, then you only can export the Package and it can be viewed outside Windchill.  Selecting this does result in included CAD content files

b) Windchill_x.x then you can import the Package into another Windchill system; this does not result in any CAD content files

Wow - what are we missing - cannot import CAD data?

If you try to import a Delivery that is selected as Export format, this is the message:

"Received Delivery File - Package - PKG001408, 0[1] (4).zip": This importable package delivery file is not formatted correctly. Contact the sender of the delivery"

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I don't understand why the system would send an object without it's primary content.  It doesn't make sense.  The help docs say MCAD CAD docs are allowed...

packages.PNG

More info...

1. I have 10.2 M030 on my laptop - OTB install. Just wcadmin.  I added wcadmin to the group: PLM Connector Importable Package.  Created a Package with a CAD Doc in it.  Able to select Windchill_10.2 for the .zip file format and the .zip file in fact includes CAD data (success).

2. Tried same on two different rehosted (from production) 10.1 M040 systems.  Created a Package with a CAD Doc in it.  With the right group membership, able to select Windchill_10.1 for the .zip file format.  The system creates the .zip file but it has no content.

3. For the same Package, created a new Delivery but selected Export for the .zip file format.  The .zip file includes Content consisting of the correct CAD Doc file.

Asking tech support to please confirm that a 10.1 M040 system with Windchill_10.1 for the zip file format in fact works on their end (for a Package with CAD Doc content).

Has anyone listening actually used Packages to bring CAD data from one Windchill system to another?

Update on this just FYI for all - finally got confirmation that including CAD in Packages used for export from one WC system and import to another is available in 10.2 but not in 10.1.

BryanK
14-Alexandrite

Hi,

Yes this is an old topic, but as its still unanswered i was hoping someone has had some success with this?

I have tried to do this in 11.0 and it still not working.

Hopefully someone out there has a fix?

Did you find a different method to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you set the appropriate delivery medium. There are preference settings that limit the file size for each medium type. By default, I think email is 10MB.

If packages are synchronized, then the managed collection of data within is refreshed and republished, so successful package zip creation can be dependent on successful publishing.

BryanK
14-Alexandrite
(To:DarrenStorey)

Hi Darren,

The Package that I'm exporting is small as a test. at the moment its about 3 meg. The publishing is successful.

Getting the zip file out is not the problem. Its importing it into the new server where I start running into problems.

Top Tags