cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill PdmLink Upgradtion from 8.0 to 9.1

VivekUchekar
2-Guest

Windchill PdmLink Upgradtion from 8.0 to 9.1

Hi,

we have Windchill 8.0 M040 on Windows server.

we are planning to upgrade it to 9.1 latest date code on Windows Server.

i go through Upgradation guide.

I have some questions.

1. We have to install windchill 9.1 on same server machine on which our previous windchill 8.0 is present.

2. Install new Oracle instance for 9.1 database on same server on which 8.0 oracle instance is present.

3. same for LDAP.

is this the Correct Procedure to Upgarde Windchill 8.0 to 9.1 on SAME Machine?

Please guide us.

Thanks in Advance.

Vivek

7 REPLIES 7

I would suggest that you seriously consider skipping 9.1 and upgrading to Windchill 10.0 from 8.0.

The Windchill 10.0 Upgrade tools have been signifigantly enhanced and remove a lot of the manual work required in earlier upgrades.

The process is much simpler too.

Install Windchill 10.0 on the Target host

Export the LDAP, Oracle, and File Vaults from the 8.0 system to target and Import

Run the Upgrademanager

Hello Carsten,

I appreciate the info you provided. However, if I wanted to upgrade from 8.0 to 9.x, how would we do that?

I got confused with two ways which I found to upgrade from PDMLink 8 to 9.x.

(i) One of the guides' procedures state that we install the target and then configure it to point to source data. (includes transfer of both iba.properties and ie.properties, no import of source data into target). Doesn't talk about whether source and target should be on single machine or different machines.

(ii) Another one says that we can import database and LDAP data into target and then configure them accordingly (inlcudes transfer of only iba.properties file to the target and target config branch).

Is it true that former method is used when we have two machines i.e. source on one and target installed on another? And the latter method is when we have both source and target installed on same machine, so that we wipe out source before installing target? The one which Vivek suggested.

Having said that, where do we get Aphelion for 9.1, since upgrade to 9.1 requires Windchill DS which should be migrated from Aphelion post upgrade?

When I did an upgrade from 7 to 9, I used the latter method i.e. export/import of data.

Please clarify, which method is more reliable and trusted.

Thanks,

Wasim Ahmed

1. We have to install windchill 9.1 on same server machine on which our previous windchill 8.0 is present.

yes that is correct.

2. Install new Oracle instance for 9.1 database on same server on which 8.0 oracle instance is present.

I would suggest

a.take export of database

b. Un-install Oracle 8i. install 11g

c Using PSI create an empty database with same name name user

d. import dump from step # a

I would suggest to keep using Aphelion until the whole upgrade ends...then follow the below procedure..

a. stop aphelion services

b. take command line export of Aphelion DB

c. Apply TPI 146332 to modify it

d. install WindchillDS

e. import ldif file obtained at step # c

You are good to work ahead...

Hey Rohan..Thanks for your post..I've one more issue.

I've just finished installing Windchill 9.1 PDMLink and trying to create a document in GOLF_CART demo or any other product, but it failed everytime giving the

following error:

error.png

"ATTENTION: An error occurred while uploading the file. Please contact your administrator. Error: [object Error]", but no error in MethodServer.log.

I've tried filevaulting, still fails. Tried access policy, still fails. Wcadmin, orgadmin, demo admin all fail to create the document.

Please help. Urgent.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ChrisPeters)

Chris,

This sounds like an issue you should investigate with PTC technical support. Diagnosing it via community posts is not an effective way to get you back on track.

ChrisPeters
1-Newbie
(To:sm)

Sure...I will...but I've already started another link with it...hope to get some useful answers...but I will follow up with TS..

SEANPAN
6-Contributor
(To:ChrisPeters)

Hi ChrisPeters,

I got the same issue when creating documents. I tried to change the uploading mechanism to: use basic browser functionality to upload file... and it worked. Hope this helps to you.

By the way, for Windchill 9.1, you'd better use Java 6 update 18... others might have compatibility issue.

Top Tags