cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Windchill Performance with local Oracle server vs Remote Oracle server

GaryMansell
6-Contributor

Windchill Performance with local Oracle server vs Remote Oracle server

I am looking to upgrade our Windchill 9.1 System to Windchill 10.1 and at the same time replace the hardware.

Our original 9.1 Windchill System runs on a 2x4 core Windows 2003R2 box with 16GB RAM and the Oracle database is stored in a separate Linux Server 2x4core 16GB RAM also.

CPU's have improved in the three years since I built the original 9.1 Windchill System and now I am considering running both Oracle and Windchill on the same 2x8 core Windows 2008R2 Box with 40GB RAM.

It seems to me that running both Oracle and Windchill on the same box should lead to a performance improvement as (presumably?) the communication between Windchill and Oracle does not need to go over the TCP Listener connection.

Does anyone have any experience that they would like to share on this - is this a better idea than running two separate machines?

Rgds

Gary

3 REPLIES 3

I have found better performance with oracle on the same system. Otherwise a dedicated NIC to the oracle server is recommended.

What really helps is a dedicated SSD drive for the DB files.

Kevin

Sent from my Windows Phone

Kevin,

Thanks for getting back to me on this, I have a further question if I may…

For a Windchill System with the Oracle DB on the same host as the Windchill Application, do you still use the same TNS Listener type configuration (but using localhost) for Oracle or is there a different type of Direct Memory access between the Windchill App and Oracle that can be configured instead?

Rgds

Gary

Hi Gary,

I am about to do the opposite and perform a migration from Intralink to PDMLink with Oracle being installed and configured on a remote server.

To answer your question yes an Oracle TNS Listener still must be configured on the server where the DB and application are installed.

Without the listener PDMLink will not be able to connect to Oracle.

-=D

Top Tags