cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Windchill Qualitiy Solutions import large xls files for System Tree

tkrieger
5-Regular Member

Windchill Qualitiy Solutions import large xls files for System Tree

Dear community,

I am not sure if it is absolutly odd, but I have to import an Excel file with 3.200.000 lines as System Tree (structured). I have the feeling that this will exceed the memory of Windchill and I do not think that the GUI import/export wizzard can handle this size. Has anyone recommendations or experience with this?

Any help is appreciated,

Tobias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tkrieger
5-Regular Member
(To:tkrieger)

The sad answer is, that it is not possible.

-Tobias

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tkrieger
5-Regular Member

The sad answer is, that it is not possible.

-Tobias

Mohammed_T
6-Contributor

I may be late but I know what you are going throughSmiley Happy

WQS is built on MS .Net Framework. This framework has a memory limitation of 1.2GB. When you are doing export which has large number of records then the application starts to consume large amount of memory. Since WQS is built on .net and the export task seeks memory beyond 1.2GB ( check task manager) the .net framework fails to acquire more RAM beyond 1.2GB as this value is hard coded. The application freezes and eventually crashes. PTC has no solution for this nor does Microsoft.

Solutions:
1. Using macros in excel extract data

2. Connect to your production DB through excel and pull the data

And please if you get a better answer please share it with me too.

Thank you

tkrieger
5-Regular Member
(To:Mohammed_T)

Dear Mohammed,

Thank you for your answer and help - and I guess that it is the root cause (just wondering if PTC is working on this, we asked the support but we got no reply since month....).

The direct DB hack is what I do now too, while exporting is no problem this way, importing is. There are some strange table dependencies and values (like recordID) which are hard to guess.

If I get updates, I let you know.

Sincerly,

Tobias

tkrieger
5-Regular Member
(To:Mohammed_T)

.the last info I got from PTC support...

I’ve been with R&D this morning and they confirmed that the current WQS has been designed to handle old Excel versions files, hence it does manage only 65000 rows as there is no sufficient cache memory allowed as it is designed for maximum 65000 row, they have submitted themselves an enhancement request to higher Management to get plans and expectation about it (I’ll keep you posted about).

What I can suggest you for now as a workaround is to split big files to have 65000 rows on each and proceed with the import.

Your last question about the software version is 32 bit this is known but unfortunately even R&D does not have any clue about a possible 64 bit version, only high management can confirm if it is planned in the future but product ideas must be filled first for this subject.

Cheers,

Tobias

Top Tags