cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Windchill Save As

dgrobe
6-Contributor

Windchill Save As

Guys.. i have a problem, that i wonder if you can help..  i have a part, and i modify it.. and change it.. save it.  then decided i wanted to give it a new part number.  so, i save as, a new part number.. no problem.  however.  i want to duplicate the drawing with this part..

so.. i go into workspace.. select the old part, which is modified in my workspace.. and the drawing which is not modified yet.  i do a save as, and i get an error, saying i cant save as, because the part is modified locally.  whats up with that?  i can do a save as of the modified model, in the creo environment, but i cant do it in the windchill workspace?

4 REPLIES 4
kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:dgrobe)

If I read correctly I suspect it's because the prt file associated with the unmodified drawing is the original prt that you modified and saved.  When you do a Save As on the Drawing I would expect Windchill to also copy the underlying model.

If you're able to Check In the modified part you should be able to do a Save As on the drawing and model concurrently. 

Indeed, in this situation the prt file associated to the drawing is the old one because you only dupplicated the part and even if you decide to dupplicate the drawing (of the old part) now, Windchill won't make the association with the new part you created.

If you want to make a copy of an existing part in order to modify it and have it's drawing changing accordingly, then you should dupplicate both files (prt and drw) in the same time in Windchill before starting any modifications. This will create the good link between the new part and the new drawing.

hope this will help.

best regards.

Maybe you have to upload your changes to the server side of your workspace 1st, maybe than it's working.

Hi Daniel,

What version of Windchill you are working in?  Starting from 10.2, you can upload something that's not checked out, and you should be able to do a Save As.  Up to 10.1, you aren't, not for models, not for drawings.  For this reason, we allow to rename in session.  When saved, it's a copied CADdocument in your workspace.

In case you forgot the drawing during a Save As, using the 'rename in session', you can cure this situation.

Regards,  Hugo.

Top Tags