Good Day To You
I've planned to upgrade Windchill from 9.0 M030 to 10.2 M030.
My source system specifications are as below..
OS: Windows Server 2003
Database: SQL Server 2005 SP3 Developer Version.
Windchill: 9.0 M030
Directory Server: Aphelion Directory Server
As part of upgradation, we decided to upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2012 R2.
Note: Windchill Server is not physical but is Virtual Server in VMWare.
As doing this for first time,I need to know detailed steps to follow while upgradation.
Thanks In Advance
Upgrade steps are detailed in Upgrade Guide. I strongly recommend to read through the guide once and perform a rehearsal upgrade. In rehearsals, you can create your own work instructions and check list specific to your environment. This ensures a smooth production upgrade. On a high level below are the steps
1. Apply latest WinDU/WinRU patch according to the source system release
2. Run upgrade-mandatory Windchill Diagnostic Utility (WinDU) tasks on the source system and fix all reported issues.
3. Export the database and LDAP. Exports should be taken at the same time.
4. Copy vaults to target servers. Do the same for new replication servers
5. Install and Configure the target system with SQL 2012 and verify that the target system is fully functional(AD Configuration, compare wt.properties with source, numbering series should match source. Apply CPSs
6. Apply the customizations on the target system(If any)
7. Migrate from Aphelion to Windchill Directory Server.
8. Import the database and LDAP- migrated one
9. Change the collation - Run collation conversion tool.
10. Run the Upgrade Manager.
11. Execute final upgrade steps.
12. Reconfigure vaults, replica servers
13. Validate the upgraded solution windu, fv validation tools etc.
Thanks for your valuable response
I've some doubts regarding Aphelion to Windchill Directory Server.
In my plan, i'm preparing target system in Virtual and want to install WDS through 10.2 M030 PSI , followed by Aphelion to WDS migration as mentioned in Upgradation guide.
And also, I do perform this before running Upgrade Manager, don't I ?
Kindly request you to suggest on this if any.
Thanks And Regards,
You are right - you install WDS as a part of your target system installation.
We do the Aphelion to WDS migration before the upgrade manager. Make sure you review the rejects and skips logs(have to mention this explicitly) while importing to WDS to ensure that migration.jar actually worked.
I'll perform the same and will get back if face any difficulties.
Good Day To You..
I'm facing some difficulties with SQL Server upgradation as part of Windchill upgradation.
Our Source Database is SQL Server 2005 SP2 Developer Version for Windchill 9.0 M030.
On target, planing to install SQL Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition.
But, after gone through Microsoft SQL Server Official Upgradation Documentation, I came to know that I can't directly upgrade SQL Server 2005 SP2 Developer Edition to 2012 standard instead only can upgrade to 2012 Developer edition.
The only way is to first upgrade to SQL 2012 Developer and then to 2012 standard.
Please guide me on this for smooth upgradation.
Thanks And Regads
Hi Krishna - You don't have to use SQL upgrade tool to upgrade SQL Server for Windchill Upgrade. When you setup target system, use fresh SQL Server 2012 Std. Before you run upgrade manager, back up the database from SQL Server 2005 Dev.(Windu Cleaned) and restore it to SQL Server 2012 Std. It is good to keep the database, database user and schema name same in the source and target.
Upgrades with Windchill aren't like upgrades with any other software you've probably ever dealt with. Upgrade really means:
Obviously there are lots of other sub-steps that Binesh detailed well, but the basic concept is install new, overwrite, then upgrade.
Good Day To You..
Thanks for your valuable information.
I would like to know about backup that needs to perform on source VM. i.e Do I need to take backup of particular Windchill Database User ( as doing regularly) or have to take any additional like system DB, log files etc.
Request you to please suggest me.
Thanks And Regards,