cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill Won't start - server manager?

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst

Windchill Won't start - server manager?

We moved our windchill server to our local building. The end users consist of 2 people and we have no support staff who know how to administrate windchill.

According to the control panel, the directory services is running with no problem. It just sits on this line

INFO : wt.method.server.startup - MethodServer created - port 5003

INFO : wt.method.server.startup - Starting services - class = wt.services.Stan

dardServicesHandler

and I get this error.

ERROR : wt.manager.ServerManagerImpl - Start of MethodServer timed out.

ERROR : wt.server.manager.startup - Unable to launch 1 MethodServer instance

wt.util.WTRemoteException: Unable to get server; nested exception is:

(wt.manager.managerResource/3) wt.util.WTException: Start of MethodServe

r timed out.

at wt.manager.ServerManagerImpl.getServer(ServerManagerImpl.java:281)

at wt.manager.RemoteServerManager.getServer(RemoteServerManager.java:299

)

at wt.manager.StandardServerMonitor$ServerMonitor.startServers(StandardS

erverMonitor.java:332)

at wt.manager.StandardServerMonitor$ServerMonitor.run(StandardServerMoni

tor.java:212)

INFO : wt.server.manager.startup - Starting 1 additional MethodServer instance

INFO : wt.manager.ServerLauncher - Starting MethodServer

It worked before we moved and after some time (~5 mins) the method server stops and loops the same message. Do I need to change something in the config file since the IP address changed? That's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:Aaronm87)

Did the server hostname change or just the numeric IP address? If you changed the server hostname, then you need to follow the re-hosting procedure.

Note that by "changed the server hostname" I don't mean whether or not you changed the server from which the server is running. Rather I mean the hostname used by the software as its location, which must still be valid but which may (and generally should) refer to a DNS alias rather than a physical hostname. Also note that change from myserver.foo.com to myserver.bar.com or the like requires re-hosting.

Are you running the Windchill shell as an admin before doing a windchill start?

The domain name definitely changed and i think that is the issue. How does one go about rehosting? I cannot seem to find any documentation on this. And yes I have tried running as admin.

Hi Aaron...

Did you ever get any sort of response on this? A rehost can be a major pain in the neck and the documentation is really scant. If you're still stuck on this, please write back and let us know.

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi, Aaron,

Perhaps you've already seen it, but there is a Windchill Rehost Guide available on ptc.com:

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/124969/en/WCRehostGuide.pdf

Within the next month or so, this document will also be updated with information about a new rehost utility.

Jane

Jane Zupfer
VP, Windchill Publications
T 763.957.8299 E -

Thanks Jane...

I think I speak for quite a few others when I say we're waiting for this rehost utility with very high hopes!

rkayasth
6-Contributor
(To:jzupfer)

Hello Jane,

after havig the responses so far on this topic, I suugest, if you can take a few valuable minutes, and just update the community when the rehost tool is launched, it will be very helpful to all.

Thanks,

Ravin

Hello, Ravin and all,

I'll be happy to update this thread when the new rehost utility and the updated documentation are available.

Regards,

Jane

Hello, all,

As promised, I'm posting to this thread to let you know that the new rehost utility has been released. The documentation for the 10.0/10.1 version can be found here:

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/124969/en/WCRehostGuide101.pdf

Jane

To all,

From what I see it looks like the rehost utility instructions are longer than the original rehost instructions. I have been doing aa rehost for the last three weeks and have run into many, many issues. Also, PTC tech will only let you open 1 call per step. Don't know if this will change for the rehost or not, but it sucks! Just delays the whole process. Has anyone actually used the rehost utility that is not a DBA, Java programmer? I would be interested to see the feedback.

Buddy

I feel like we were led to believe PTC was developing a special rehosting utility to alleviate the nightmarish process of rehosting. Instead I feel like we've gotten the same old rehost guide with a new script added. With all due respect, unless that script does everything for me... or at least leads me through the process, then I have no use for it. I'd rather hire Boston Engineering to clone and/or rehost my production server in 30 minutes as they did at Planet PTC Live than waste any more time trying to decipher another 106 page guide.

Look here: http://www.boston-engineering.com/media/data/PlanetPTC2012-CloneWindchillinMinutesWithVirtualization.pdf

Or check the Boston Engineering website here: http://www.boston-engineering.com/plm-blog/clone-windchill

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst
(To:Aaronm87)

Still running into some issues.

Initially the server was running at a remote facility. We moved it our local facility and the domain changed. The software guy did someone modifying the host file on the server and it worked.

We just recently moved into a new building where the IP scheme had changed. I went in and modified the IP in the host file to redirect the server. I can properly login and everything works on the web application. However, I cannot seem to get it to work again in Creo. It connects to the server, but then drops the connection once the login info is entered. Would the IP changing require a rehost?

We don't have any data on the server yet, but I am thinking maybe a clean install might be the right action to take here? The guy who helped do the initial install is busy and won't have time for several weeks...unless it is possible for a person of very limited server knowledge to do the install himself then I might try it.

-Aaron

Top Tags