cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill and Oracle platform question...

WayneBeck
1-Newbie

Windchill and Oracle platform question...

I am getting pushback from my IT department for wanting to move my windchill app server to a windows box and leaving the oracle server linux. I dont see this being a issue and PTC supports this. In my experience I have called PTC for tech support and finding someone with linux experience has been tuff. Are there others out there running split OS systems? And have you had issues with this.

5 REPLIES 5

Wayne,
Our Oracle group runs all of our Oracle installations on either Linux or Unix servers. We are running Windchill 10.1 M030 on Windows Server 2008 with no issues at all.
It was a little tricky getting the Oracle cluster configured in Windchill, but other than that, no problems.

Mike Ibosh

This is how we run our environment. We also virtualize both the app servers and db servers. We had to move the Oracle database to use OVM for virtualization due to licensing impacts which I believe forced us to move to OVM's supported OS which was Oracles version of Linux.

We've been running this way for 2 years now and has worked very well for us.

Steve D.

We've run different combinations of Windows, Linux, and AIX servers for Application and Database servers, along with Windows servers for Remote Fileservers. We've most often used AIX for Oracle with either AIX or Linux Application servers.

BTW, I do recommend keeping Oracle on Linux or Unix. I have lots of anecdotal evidence from our DBAs that these environments are more robust and less overall work to manage for Oracle, and most recently during a disaster recovery practice, Oracle databases on AIX were easily restored while databases on Windows were more difficult and not all successful during the practice.

Many people are required to have all Oracle databases managed by their DBA team. We've been lucky so far - able to have a dedicated Oracle instance for Windchill. We currently have both on the same host.
MartinHill
4-Participant
(To:WayneBeck)

We run Oracle on Linux and the rest of Windchill on Windows and have always done so (5 years or so) without problems.

We have been considering moving from Oracle to SQL but so far have not considered moving Oracle onto Windows.

Top Tags