cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Windchill as an asset manager

tgudobba
14-Alexandrite

Windchill as an asset manager

Does anyone use Windchill to manage software licensing and maintenance or even other assets? I’m thinking of implementing this, but would like some ideas on how to approach it. Should we use WTParts or different object types? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:tgudobba)

Some thoughts:

- May want to include files, so probably use a WTDocument, not Part type

- May need some attributes so probably create a sub type of WTDocument

- Can constrain this Document Sub type to only be allowed to be created in
one special = purpose Library intended for just this purpose. Can use an
OIR to assign a different Lifecycle as needed, possibly 0, 1, 2, 3 Revision
sequence

- May want to use document structure if there are several related items

- Could have saved searches / reports that filter by state; states should
align with actions that need to be taken on the assets

cc-2
6-Contributor
(To:tgudobba)

Hi

what do you actually want to manage ? The paperwork (ie the terms of the licencing) or the number of licences you have free at any given time so you know if you need to buy new licences.

A) If it is paperwork, I agree with Mike. dedicated library, wtdocument, attributes, life cycle template

B) If it is about knowing how many licences you have for each software and how many you have left etc... I recommend a dedicated software for it. This is far too dynamic and fast pace changing for managing this as a document in a PDM

As you know you have many different types of licences, user, client, server, global, based on number of CPU etc... etc...

Windchill is not designed to manage such thing

In Reply to Tim Gudobba:

Does anyone use Windchill to manage software licensing and maintenance or even other assets? I’m thinking of implementing this, but would like some ideas on how to approach it. Should we use WTParts or different object types? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Top Tags