cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Windchill attribute for user look-up

Sha11
12-Amethyst

Windchill attribute for user look-up

Hello,

I have a requirement where I need to introduce an attribute to an object type which should allow users to look up Windchill users and add them as a value for that attribute, I would use this value and populate the team members for that object. Requesting you to shed some light on the possible solution.

Thanks,

Hari

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joe_morton
17-Peridot
(To:Sha11)

I believe there is a back-end way to do a bulk load. You could use that for the initial. I haven't done it myself, but my colleague has. Try these references: 

For us now, we maintain the list by just manually updating it (as there is only a few users added or removed at a time).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
joe_morton
17-Peridot

We maintain an enumerated list of users in our system that can be assigned to a particular attribute. In our case, only one can be selected. In your case, it sounds like you would want to make it a multi-valued attribute. 

The up-keep is significant. We have to add to the enum list when we get new users and remove when users are no longer valid. We do have workflows that query the username assigned in that attribute, and then can route a task to that user. This also requires logic to ensure the user is still valid, and we need to catch the case that they are no longer valid.

I'd be interested to hear if you find a more elegant solution!

Sha11
12-Amethyst
(To:joe_morton)

Hello @joe_morton ,

Can you let me know how do you populate the enumeration with the list of users? Is it something that we have to do manually or can we configure this in anyway?

joe_morton
17-Peridot

I believe there is a back-end way to do a bulk load. You could use that for the initial. I haven't done it myself, but my colleague has. Try these references: 

For us now, we maintain the list by just manually updating it (as there is only a few users added or removed at a time).

Hi @joe_morton 

Yes it is another way how to crate IBA attribute with list of user name values. But you need to maintain the enumerations or suggestion list as a admin

I can not imagine to do so if company has hundreds users. 

PetrH

HelesicPetr
21-Topaz II

Hi @Sha11 

You can create own DataUtility to populate a comboBox with users what you need or you can use a sugestionTxtBox.

In my video there is example how very simple search for a user can work

for suggestion I use com.ptc.core.components.rendering.guicomponents.SuggestTextBox

and suggestionHelper com.ptc.core.components.suggest.Suggestable

and suggestion helper is defined as a service in service.properties

PetrH

Top Tags