cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill automated UI testing

csaraf-2
1-Newbie

Windchill automated UI testing

Our company is exploring tools and techniques which could expedite/automate smoke test and formal tests. Has any company tried exploring any automated tools successfully? what would be recommendation?. If I have to start from scratch, I am thinking of selenium web driver. Please reply with any lessons learned or success stories with any of the UI test automation tools.

Platform: windchill 10.2 with IE 11 platform

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

13 REPLIES 13

Check for below tool/website.

http://www.qualitiasoft.com/customers-qualitia.php

Thanks

Shreyas

Looks very interesting tool, liked the goal of in “No scripting” “No recording” and "No programing" language required. We will check it out.

We explored Selenium and it looks promising. Not much development done though.

On the side note, I heard that PTC is developing a testing tool based on Selenium. The release timeline is not known though.

I agree Selinium looks like a good option. It is open source - no license cost and works pretty decent.Basically we can use Selinium IDE and RC - it gives a lot of APIs and HTML functions and can be configured very easily for specific deployments.IDE can be used only with firefox which might not be very realistic as most of the user community is on IE.It would be good to see a basic test script from PTC - similar to MLG scripts. From what I heard they already use it fo R&D

Thanks

Binesh

Barry Wehmiller

Agreed, we have IE11 as supported browser. Not sure about MLG scripts.

Looks very interesting tool. Just not sure if the tool has been used and supported for windchill.

I did a short consulting stint doing performance tuning at Levi's where they used HP Load Runner to drive a good deal of testing with FlexPLM.  The tool worked pretty well, but took a lot of work to create the scripts and I think they were still a bit fragile but they did work.  I am not sure if they continued to use the scripts post go live.  I also attempted to use Autoit to create user tests, and encountered a problem with the Windchill GUI that you will most likely face no matter what tool you choose.  When getting data back from Windchill, the GUI generates unique tags/ID's for rows in its tables which makes it very difficult to select specific records to click on.  In your case you may be able to get away with always selecting the same row(the first result) since what I think you are trying to prove is consistency in the deployment.  Also it will be important for you to have a consistent set up and tear down to make each run repeatable.

--Bob

Agreed, we need the tests repeatable with setup and tear down. We are evaluating HP tools.

Thanks all for the replies, I think we have good pointers. Also came across AscentialTest from zeenyx. AscentialTest believes in “No scripting” “No recording” and no programing language required, which looks  very promising.

http://www.zeenyx.com/InsiderInformation.html

Chetan,

Please post if you end up trying this.  I looked at the site, but I did not see a place to download and try out the software and I am real curios how well it works.

--Bob

yes. we plan to schedule a demo to find out.

Hi Bob,

Here are instructions for setting up evaluation copy:

Link to download the hostid generator:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/eppx1kcagm.zip

Download the file, unzip it and then run it from a command prompt like this:

lmhostid.exe -ether

It will generate a hostid.

end that hostid to support@zeenyx.com. Support will respond with a license file that is good for 30 days, along with a link to the latest version of AscentialTest.

Top Tags