cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill customization guide

nghosh-2
1-Newbie

Windchill customization guide

Hi,'

I am new to windchill customization area though i have worked in all sorts of windchill configurations. I have downloaded the ptc guide on customization and its really vast. To start learning, can anyone send me links or share some document on customization that can help to start.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
doehr
1-Newbie
(To:nghosh-2)

I think that's a bit too broad a topic to cover. There is way, way too many areas that can be customized that one document can handle, and lots of subtle little details.

How about this: Go from the fundamental logical core of what you want to do, regardless of the software itself. Virtually every process, object and team can be significantly customized in nearly every aspect. So what do you want?

-Which process steps do you want a particular object to follow?

-What data fields do you want to show up when?

-Which user roles do you want to have handle the work?

And one key question, how familiar are you with Windchill's fundamental data creation framework, i.e. the relationships between the Object Initialization Rules, Lifecycle Templates, Type and Attribute Manager object layouts and the process Workflows?

And how familiar are you with the overlapping access control systems:

-Policy Administrator

-User Account Profiles

-Configure Actions for Roles within the contexts

-Ad-Hoc rules within the lifecycle templates (honestly don't use these, you can't see or edit them en masse and the Policy Administrator can do all of it anyways)
-Server side controls

Maybe pop out a few ideas as to what you want to have happen and we can give some pointers on where to start. Oh, and which version of Windchill are you the administrator of?

Daryl

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:nghosh-2)

Nivedita Ghosh wrote:

Hi,'

I am new to windchill customization area though i have worked in all sorts of windchill configurations. I have downloaded the ptc guide on customization and its really vast. To start learning, can anyone send me links or share some document on customization that can help to start.

Thanks.

Felco Solutions offers 2 very good training courses that deal with Windchill customization:

FELCO Solutions

Check out the "Automating Windchill" and the "Windchill Customization" courses. I have taken both of these courses and can tell you they are very good.http://felcosolutions.com/training.html

Top Tags