cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Windchill internal viewer and download file

ptc-5285821
1-Newbie

Windchill internal viewer and download file

I try to explain my problem.

Actually we are ready to start with Windchill implementation in the Company where I work but I see a big problem in the security and I am not able to solve the issue with the Italian people of PTC.

I have understood that the internal viewer of Windchill dowload the file, for example a tiff, locally in the cache of the user personal computer. For us is important to avoid this for some category of users, actually, with our system we have a silverlight viewer that permit to see the file server side without locally download. Is it possible with the windchill viewer or by means other component to obtain the same function? For us the view server side is mandatory.

I think that is very strange that an important software in the market as Windchill has the necessity to a local download. I think for example if I need to see a document using a PC of an Internet Point or Airport or at site of my Client.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

I believe this is correct because Windchill is web based applicatio, so, as all brower you download in local cache all imbedded object in pages.

Sorry but your comment is not appreciate. I know very well, unfortunately, the opinions of Italian PTC people.

I prefer to receive commnets from USA people better if parts of PTC organization.

Regards

BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:ptc-5285821)

Mauro, This may not be the best answer, but this is one method for Cad objects - .prt, asm, and .drw format files that will give you a good picture of how permissions and cache can be controlled in Windchill.

Windchill has "thumbnails" for images shown in the information and search pages.

Windchill has a publisher to automatically publish PVZ/OL files for viewing in Creo View. (which is launched by clicking on the image in the information or search page.)

Unauthorized users do not have access to find or see the information or search pages through context/folder permission control where the objects reside.

1) lowest level ".prt" files will have a lightweight image thumbnail which can be loaded into View.  (The viewing of the thumbnail does not require download to client cache...Creo View ".ol" file will be downloaded when launched)

2) .drw is similar to .prt where a thumbnail exists and only one "image" file will be downloaded to client cache when opened in Creo View.

3) .asm (this is where it gets complicated) - If you publish assemblies as standard there will be a PVZ(zipped up container of ".ol" files) existing in WC.  If the user has access to the location of the assembly in Windchill then they will be able to open and see the entire assembly in Creo View and the PVZ will transfer to the users harddrive or cache folder.  So if there are components inside the large assembly that you want restrictions on then this is a problem because all the ".ol" files for the assembly are in the users cache folder.  The solution to prevent this activity is to publish assemblies as positioning assemblies.  In this case, there is no image in the thumbnail and when loaded into Creo View, every object in the assembly is interrogated prior to downloading the associated ".ol" file to the users computuer.    

As a sidenote: there are some companies on your side of the pond doing custom publishing to remove sensitive data out of the .ol files.  I'm sure there are others doing information rights management with tricks up their sleeve also.

First of all thanks for your interest Bill.

Your answer is very interesting I need to explain better our situation.

Actually a group of designer work with differents CAD (PorE,AUtoCAD etc) at the end of approval process for the drawing in 2D we produce a Tiff file. The tiff file can be sent to outsourcing suppliers or our workshop or our Client.

Now I try to explain our oraganization. We have 3 macro groups:

1° designer and chief eng. that can open, download and modify the native file in (for example) dwg format or ProE format etc.

2° viewer with particular permissions. These persons can view, download and print the tiff file only

3° limited viewer. This group can view only tiff file and they cannot dowload the tiff in the personal PC.

We need a solution for this 3° group. Actually we have solved (in our old sharepoint) with a silverlight viewer but now we need a method for Windchill.

Thanks and sorry for my English

Top Tags