cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill logout?

ptc-6693997
1-Newbie

Windchill logout?

We share a couple of laptops. On one, Google asked if we wanted the password saved after logging into Windchill. This seems to have locked us into a member account, since we can't find a logout button anywhere.

Looking at similar discussions, I'm not the only one looking. So how do I log out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JSchrader
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-6693997)

All,

GSO did provide us a method to logout for testing purposes that has worked very well for us. Find the steps in the attached document on how to add a bookmark to Firefox or IE.

Jason Schrader

Kalypso

jason.schrader@kalypso.com

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
AL_ANDERSON
5-Regular Member

You close all browsers in your current session to log out.

On a separate, but released note, you can open a browser in a new session to log in from the same computer as a different user.

If you had Chrome/Firefox/IE remember the password, closing out the browser may not prevent the immediate log-in with the wrong account (assuming the browser has been set to immediately log-in with that user/pass). Before trying to log-in with another users, you will need to make sure that the user/pass combo has been deleted from the "remembered" list in the browser (the location of this list varies by browser and version, but a quick search can find you a how-to).

Unfortunately, as far as I know, Windchill still does not have a "logout" button or command of any sort. The only way to log a user out of Windchill is to close all of the browser windows in the current session.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

The only method of supporting Logout in Windchill that I am aware of, is implementing Forms Based Authentication with Windchill. You can learn more about this in the Authentication topic of the Windchill HelpCenter.

Without implementing FBA, Al and Larry's suggestions are spot on. Tell the brownser to "Never" remember the password for your Windchill site and use the "New Session" option to launch a fresh browser window that you can log in with a different user.

JSchrader
6-Contributor

All,

GSO did provide us a method to logout for testing purposes that has worked very well for us. Find the steps in the attached document on how to add a bookmark to Firefox or IE.

Jason Schrader

Kalypso

jason.schrader@kalypso.com

STEVEG
21-Topaz I
(To:JSchrader)

That works great. However, if you are logged in to several place, then it logs you out of all of them. In this session I am logged in to this site (obviously) and to PDMLink. It logged me out of PDMLink AND this site.

Note that if you are using IIS and Integrated WIndows Auth, this will log you out. And then you will be immediately logged back in via the Integrated Auth.

ngiacom
14-Alexandrite
(To:JSchrader)

Hello!

In Windchill 11.1 it doesn't work anymore.

Do you find a new solution?
Thanks

Being that this old thread has already been raised from the dead...

Ngiacom, you may want to post a new forum posting, with your particulars, since this thread was over 4 years old before you responded.

Or possibly open a support case, with PTC.

In either case, you would want to clarify what "doesn't work anymore".

The never-remembering the password, and closing all browser sessions/windows, or;

The implementation of forms-based authentication, and forcefully logging out that way.

Cheers,

Mike

ngiacom
14-Alexandrite
(To:MichaelChatel)

Hello Mike,

my reply was for the accepted solution of JShrader, "bookmark in browser".

It worked fine until 10.2, using the custom bookmark Windchill asked username and password and started a new login in the same session.

In 11.1 it doesn't work, I need to create a new browser session as workaround.

PTC Case is unuseful because it is not supported. JShrader found a good solution alone in the past.

I was asking if he found a new one.

Nicola

LoriSood
22-Sapphire II

Noah,

It looks like you got a lot of good replies. Did any of them work for you?

I read this question not the first time and I still don't understand why PTC is not able to provide a logout command. It still could be made visible with a preference. There are some examples why a user needs to logout.

jessh
5-Regular Member
(To:BjoernRueegg)

If you need logout, then you should be on 10.1 M010 or higher and using form-based authentication.

The HTTP basic authentication protocol does not actually support any notion of "logout". "logout" with HTTP basic authentication thus requires browser specific hacks and is not supported in the product itself.

Top Tags