cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill setup for Creo Modelcheck shape indexing

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine

Windchill setup for Creo Modelcheck shape indexing

Although Modelcheck is a Creo functionality I'm asking about the Windchill side of things to get shape indexing going. 

About Configuring Creo Modelcheck and PTC Windchill for Shape Indexing lists out mass property parameters and Windchill global attributes. Does that mean that both the mass property parameters and the Windchill global attributes both need to be created in Attribute Management ? Or are the mass property parameters created in Creo automatically once model check is turned on and they just need to be linked to the Windchill attributes? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:Dobrisa)

I actually go this working (after about an hour on a web session with ptc tech support).

Lots of details that are not really covered in the Help / how to articles.

By the way, one thing not documented clearly is that the MCSI?_TOL values are in the constants files for Modelcheck. Default for all is 0.03 - meaning find models that are max 3% different for all.

MCSI1_TOL .03
MCSI2_TOL .03
MCSI3_TOL .03
MCSI4_TOL .03
MCSI5_TOL .03

Also, it's not at all clear what values are needed for the Windchill attributes.

My recommendation is to create a tech support case and ask for help - eventually PTC might more fully document how to set this up and get it working.   A few more screen captures from them will go a long way.

Still, I'm not sure how useful this is. There are many 3rd party products for searching by shape that may be better (although there is no extra  cost for using Modelcheck for this).

One MAJOR thing to keep in mind is that it can only find models for which the attributes have been filled in, meaning that all released parts need to be modified.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @Dobrisa 

A ModelCheck creates parameters in a model.

The ModelCheck does not crate attributes in a Windchill. It is admin work :D.

Upload just put the values to the Windchill database. 

You need to create appropriate attributes in the Windchill Attribute Management as a global attribute and put them to a CAD Document soft type.

Hope this answer your question.

PetrH

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine
(To:HelesicPetr)

I created what i thought were appropriate attributes in Windchill but from going through the documentation it's not obvious how to connect those to what ModelCheck creates and needs. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

This an older document, but the last published copy of the ModelCheck Help Topic manuals.

Look at page 22 for some of this information.

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

That helps a little. 

According to this, all of the attributes need to exist in Windchill. 

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

I actually go this working (after about an hour on a web session with ptc tech support).

Lots of details that are not really covered in the Help / how to articles.

By the way, one thing not documented clearly is that the MCSI?_TOL values are in the constants files for Modelcheck. Default for all is 0.03 - meaning find models that are max 3% different for all.

MCSI1_TOL .03
MCSI2_TOL .03
MCSI3_TOL .03
MCSI4_TOL .03
MCSI5_TOL .03

Also, it's not at all clear what values are needed for the Windchill attributes.

My recommendation is to create a tech support case and ask for help - eventually PTC might more fully document how to set this up and get it working.   A few more screen captures from them will go a long way.

Still, I'm not sure how useful this is. There are many 3rd party products for searching by shape that may be better (although there is no extra  cost for using Modelcheck for this).

One MAJOR thing to keep in mind is that it can only find models for which the attributes have been filled in, meaning that all released parts need to be modified.

Dobrisa
13-Aquamarine
(To:MikeLockwood)

Thanks @MikeLockwood! I wanted to start here first after going through the documentation because I figured we weren't the only ones trying this. Most roads point to tech support. 

We did look at other 3rd party options as well but decided to give this a try first (since it's free... so to speak). Unfortunately it's a Creo functionality and we also have a large Solidworks and NX userbase where this wouldn't apply (directly, anyways). 

Dobi

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

When we starting looking at shape indexing back in 2016 I looked at ModelCheck as well but quickly found it to be way too inadequate.

It doesn't show the percentage of similarity.  You define up front what that percentage is and it will give you everything within that range.

We compared several different software and went with ModelSearch from Techsoft.  At the time it was the only one that was  integrated through Windchill and through Creo.

We are very happy with it.  We even asked if they could write a program to export some data out of their database as an Excel file.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

I had created a very minimal document a while back.  Just updated it.

Attached for ref.  Hope it's useful to others.

I have retired from full time work; now consulting with a number of companies on Creo / Windchill configurations (and having a GREAT time doing so).  Getting busier but happy to take on additional clients.

Top Tags