cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Windchill upgrade manager freezing

Jos
8-Gravel
8-Gravel

Windchill upgrade manager freezing

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 12.1 and Datecode with CPS 12.1.2.1

Hi,
Upgrading from WC 11.2 to 12.1. Reaching the step of launching upgrade manager. But now upgrade manager freezes "template migrator to updatexml tag for principal reference" . Cannot find any interesting error message in logs but not sure there is any progress : it has been running for over 48 hours now.

Checked resources and allocated memory which look ok

I found 2 articles almost pointing to the same problem for Windchill 12 but it is not exactly the issue i am facing now

Any advice is very welcome

No error message, just staying on stage :
- template migrator to update xml for principal reference
for days.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jos
8-Gravel
8-Gravel
(To:jbailey)

Thank you,

so it seems the upgrade was disturbed by a mix of :

-there was an empty folder expected on the target according to logs, eventhough not existing on the source, solved by creating it as empty and mounted in the GUI

-some unreferenced files not being removed causing some  "This file cannot be saved because a file named ... already exists", solved by a manual start and a Removed Unreferenced Files

-the wtcustom and stateRB.rbinfo were not copied on the target, solved by copying the folder tree and a resourcebuild wt.lifecycle.StateRB true -Dbundle.forceCompile=true

Then the upgrademanager did not freeze and completed OK

And now loggin in... and checking how it goes

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
rleir
17-Peridot
(To:Jos)

Just a guess, but don't you need to upgrade to 12.0 first? I will take down this reply as soon as someone else chimes in.

buenosroas
12-Amethyst
(To:rleir)

11.2 is ok for a direct upgrade to 12.1.2.1 according to the supported upgrade path documentation. 

@Jos :
Did you validate the FV mounts according to CS346543? Did you run WinDU prior to the upgrade? 

Which 11.2 version are you upgrading from? 

buenosroas
12-Amethyst

Have you tried to exit the upgrade manager and starting it again with a different logging level? If your logs aren't showing anything interesting, perhaps it's just not set to log detailed enough. Do you have a VAR you can reach out to? 

Jos
8-Gravel
8-Gravel
(To:buenosroas)

Thank you both for your inputs

There might have been to many changes now and i am back to start all over again. Then i will run the upgrade manager and see how it goes

Also : Windchill DS is used with our WC11.2 whereas our WC12.1 is based on a enterprise LDAPS. This also maybe not the ideal situation...

Regards

buenosroas
12-Amethyst

If your source system isn't running the latest CPS I'd recommend you consider patching it up to the latest in case there are new WinDU patches within. It may help resolve your freezing, provided you take time to run WinDU/WinRU prior to your upgrade.

I would not recommend running enterprise LDAPS only. Here's a decent article on how to set up with WindchillDS from 11.2: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS337415

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

I would do the upgrade with the Windchill DS from 11.2 in place and then convert to the corporate LDAP. Eliminate one area that could be causing an issue.

Hi @BenLoosli 

I would advice to do a upgrade with Windchill DS and then move to openDS with Corporate LDAP.

I have experience that if the admin is in the corporate ldap (Active Directory) it will case troubles with next upgrade. 

So my advice is keep using the OpenDS for system admin and for users use CorporateLDAP

PetrH

Thank you

So i started all over again, this time keeping the Windchill DS and the upgrade stages got linked together until reaching the end with   same step "template migrator to updatexml tag for principal reference"

even if the install clock is still running, there has been nothing new within the last 12 hours...

buenosroas
12-Amethyst

What is your log saying? Did you increase the log level for the upgrade? You should be able to stop the upgrade manager (i.e. terminate it) and run it again with different log levels. Use something like LogExpert (https://github.com/zarunbal/LogExpert/) to tail your logs efficiently. 

jbailey
17-Peridot

Are all of your vault mounts valid in the source db?

Jos
8-Gravel
8-Gravel
(To:jbailey)

Thank you,

so it seems the upgrade was disturbed by a mix of :

-there was an empty folder expected on the target according to logs, eventhough not existing on the source, solved by creating it as empty and mounted in the GUI

-some unreferenced files not being removed causing some  "This file cannot be saved because a file named ... already exists", solved by a manual start and a Removed Unreferenced Files

-the wtcustom and stateRB.rbinfo were not copied on the target, solved by copying the folder tree and a resourcebuild wt.lifecycle.StateRB true -Dbundle.forceCompile=true

Then the upgrademanager did not freeze and completed OK

And now loggin in... and checking how it goes

Top Tags