cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

WindchillDS replacements

mmeadows-3
13-Aquamarine

WindchillDS replacements

PTC's example uses OpenDJ Community Edition.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS337554

This software hasn't been maintained since 2017.

https://forgerock.github.io/opendj-community-edition/

I'm guessing companies will have a problem with this from a security perspective.  What are others planning to do for production and non-production systems: buy OpenDJ commercial version or use OpenLDAP, ApacheDS, Active Directory, other?

1. I would like to use something that is platform agnostic so Active Directory isn't at the top of my list.
  2. After a quick search, I didn't find a windows flavor of OpenLDAP.  Maybe I just didn't search hard enough...
  3. I'm looking into Apache Directory Studio with the embedded ApacheDS, last updated December 2020.  I've been using its LDAP browser with ADS and WDS for years.  Didn't realize ApacheDS (Directory Server) was embedded.  I can also setup ApacheDS standalone and use Apache Directory Studio from another computer.  Seems flexible and not terribly difficult to setup.

Looking forward to everyone's insights.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Florent
14-Alexandrite
(To:mmeadows-3)

Well, OpenDJ is still an active software, and lastest release got out in February this year: OpenDJ 

Considering Windchill Directory Server was based on this tool, I would prefer this one.

That been said, and knowing Apache won't be shipped with Windchill anymore, this would make sense to consider ApacheDS if it can ease the configuration with Apache HTTP Server.

@mndoye @jbaldy any thoughts ?

Florent ROUSSEL
www.4cad.ca

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Florent
14-Alexandrite
(To:mmeadows-3)

Well, OpenDJ is still an active software, and lastest release got out in February this year: OpenDJ 

Considering Windchill Directory Server was based on this tool, I would prefer this one.

That been said, and knowing Apache won't be shipped with Windchill anymore, this would make sense to consider ApacheDS if it can ease the configuration with Apache HTTP Server.

@mndoye @jbaldy any thoughts ?

Florent ROUSSEL
www.4cad.ca
mmeadows-3
13-Aquamarine
(To:Florent)

Florent,

Thank you for the link.

When I Google "OpenDJ Community Edition", I get the Forge Rock site and the legacy version.  After going to your link, I discovered the Wikipedia page, the multi-owner history of OpenDJ, and ultimately a path to the link you provided.  I'll continue with OpenDJ Community Edition since it is actively supported.

Regards,

Matt

Top Tags