cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windows Server or Linux Server for Windchill?

bcedar
14-Alexandrite

Windows Server or Linux Server for Windchill?

I'd like to hear what the community has to say about this topic.

Much of the PTC server administration documentation for Windchill center around Windows Server.  The majority support tickets focus on Windows Servers as well.

It's my understanding that Java (jvm) is designed with linux as a first class citizen.  I'm inclined to believe any linux distro would be better than windows servers for hosting the windchill app box.

Can you provide me with any anecdotes or evidence to support either operating system?

2 REPLIES 2
jvonzastrow1
14-Alexandrite
(To:bcedar)

Windchill run very good and stable on Linux as long as you select a supported version of Linux.

PTC Cloud service is heavy using Linux for the customers Windchill servers - many with cluster setup.

Note you have to use Windows for CAD workers.

I would love to hear more about this too. We have been running Windchill on Windows Server from the start and we're considering making the switch to Linux with our Windchill 12 upgrade. Anyone have positive or negative experiences with Linux?

We have lots of BAT files that would need to be rewritten as shell scripts, but I'm pretty sure I can dig up that old dinosaur knowledge.

Top Tags